Getting to know you

Even though they were twins, dad and Gru were just about polar opposites, with the exception of adopting. Gru's three girls were obviously not related to one another and since Leo and I were both older then them, it made things a little awkward. Especially once the adults left the room to let us get comfortable around each other. As if.

"So...you guys are technically our cousins huh?" Leo asked. The older two shrugged but the youngest one nodded eagerly. It was such an adorable gesture that a small smile came to my lips.

"What're your names?" I gently asked. It didn't surprise me when the smallest one bounced forward.

"I'm Agnes, the one in pink is Edith and Ms. Glasses is Margo." She was so adorably eager I had to laugh, a sweet happy sound that rang out pure and true.

"You're Duchess? I found this outside, it's addressed to you." It was Margo who spoke, she was holding out a neat little pink box. My smile vanished as I took it and opened it.

'Hope you're having a day as awesome as you are lovely. -Begging you sweetly to visit.' That's what the note said, and with it was a particularly large diamond.

"(Groan) That's the fifth time this week." I stuffed the box and gift into Leo's hands. "Put it in the treasure cabinet with the others." "Roger that!" And he was gone. I turned back to my cousins.

"So...who's ready for a tour?"

~

Some time later, while Leo, Edith, and Agnes played a very fast pace tag, Marco and I were walking the grounds.

"What was in that box?" I stiffened at her question. "I don't mean to pry. I'd just...like to know." She seemed pretty sincere, I'd take the risk of trusting her.

"You ever been in love?" "Once, he ditched me." I laughed. "You're lucky." "Why?" "Because he's not constantly chasing you." "Did that happen to you?"

I stopped walking. "It is happening to me." "What do you mean?" I sighed. "It's a long story, but I feel I can trust you. Just don't repeat it." She nodded and with a final sigh, I told her a tale.