Remembering...

Two days later, I had been dealing with the guilt of the mission for days when things took an interesting turn. While eating breakfast in the dining room, Bratt cleared his throat.

"I was thinking of having a dance tonight. Just a little disco moves, some '80s music. You wanna come?" I glanced up. "I don't have anything to wear." He slides a thin purple wallet to my plate. I open it to find at least a dozen credit cards. He smiles at my jaw drop.

"Knock yourself out." I finally raise my head. "Thanks." "Anytime."

~

So I go into town to do some shopping. I walk around some until I find the perfect gown with black lace and a pair of sparkly silver heels (my second favorite color). I was walking along when I reached a park and remembered something that I should have forgotten a long time ago...

Flashback Start

I stomp down into the park, tears fall like rivers down my cheeks as I finally collapse beneath my favorite tree. There's a brief pause before the trees part and Bratt comes running out.

"Duchess-" "Leave me alone! Can't you take a hint? I said LEAVE ME ALONE!!!" I turn away with a pout. For a long moment, there's silence. He carefully walks over and sits beside me, when I don't move, he rests his hand on my back but I shake him off.

"Duchess...I didn't mean to scare you. I wasn't going to-" My head snaps around to glare at him. "Going to what? Tell me your a villain? Bratt I trusted you. Let you into my life, let-" I stop myself, tears welling up. He scoots closer.

"I didn't want you to find out. You and I have grown so close since that day at the park. This park." I look around to see he's right. "I don't want to lose you." He reaches for my shoulder again but I pull away.

"So close? You don't think you can fool me with something as phony as that do you?" I glared at him with eyes steadily filling with tears as I leap to my feet.

"You like me don't you?! You like me as a boy should like a girl don't you?" He doesn't say anything and I shake my head. "Just forget it. Forget me, and everything we've done together. And if I see you try to talk to me again, I will personally decapitate you." I let this sink in before starting to walk away.

"Darling..." I whirl around and slap him, hard. "And don't you dare call me that again!" Then I turned and walked away. "Duchess..." I bite my lower lip, eyes watering anew as I walk away and out of his life.

Flashback End

But I didn't walk out on him did I? If that was the case, he wouldn't have started sending me presents a few years later. My mind drifted into a different memory.

Different Flashback Start

It had been about a month or so since I was adopted by Dru, I wasn't all too eager to be his kid before but after awhile he turned out to be a not bad guy. He even adopted another kid, a boy, named Leo, we had grown to be the closest of friends, which seemed only fitting since we're family.

"Duchess, there's something in the mail for you!" I turned away from the window at my dad's voice. "What is it?" "A package." I didn't order anything. But I hopped downstairs and took the box from his hands. After going back upstairs, I sat down and opened it.

It was a diamond, rather tiny and as round as a ball. There was a note with it; 'Please forgive me for what I've done. Even if you don't, I'll still send these tokens of appreciation. Stay beautiful. -B' There's gonna be more? I thought, setting the gift aside and glancing out on the night sky.

"You just don't give up do you?"

Flashback End

That was the day I found out what you were planning to do with your life. The day...I dumped you. I bit my lower lip as I walked back to the harbor, eyes missed over.

"Forget getting in too deep. I was past the point of no return the day he saw me for the first time in years." Several tears started to fall. "Oh Bratt, what have I done?"