A Choice

Dad didn't ask why I came back early, uncle bothered me for a little while but was eventually pulled off by his brother. No one asked me further on the matter and I was more then fine with that, but I knew exactly who'd ask me first.

"Duchess?" Two days later, I was standing at my window watching the birds fly by when I heard the timid voice question in my name. I took a deep breath, though it did hardly anything to calm me.

"Come in Leo." The door opened and in the window's reflection I could see him pear in and hesitate before stepping inside and slowly shutting the door behind him. I hated when he acted like this, as though I were some bomb ready to blow at any second.

"Duchess, why did you come back early from Balthazar's place? You weren't do back for two more days?" I paused, piecing together a good answer before letting it fly. "Because I missed everyone so much and wanted more then anything to come back to you all." I thought for sure he'd take it, what I heard next was the biggest wakeup call in my whole life.

"Bull." I whirled around to face Leo. "Language Leo, even dad doesn't speak like that!" "Screw it!" I jumped. "I'm about to tell you something and you better pray to god you remember and heed my warning!" He stomped right up to me and poked a finger into my chest, I was frozen solid. I knew Leo had passed dad's aggression test for villain-in-the-making but this was entirely different.

"You may not want to admit, and there's probably a million others who put you down on it but it's the truth; you love Bratt!" My jaw dropped. "And he loves you!" My heart stopped. "And I have just the thing to make you realize it!" He pulled out a large red speaker and his iPod before tapping the screen. The music echoed around the room, even the first two notes were familiar to me.

"You didn't." "I did. Come on, don't you remember this song?" I covered my ears, fell to my knees. But in the end the words started to fall past my lips, as must as I hated the fact I remembered every last one.

"I can't fight this feeling any longer...and yet I'm still afraid to let it flow. What started out as friendship, has grown stronger. I only wish I had the strength to let it show." My hands slowly fell away from my ears, eyes carefully opening. "I tell myself that I can't hold out forever, I say there is no reason for my fear. 'Cause I feel so secure when we're together. You give my life direction, you make everything so clear." Slowly I stood, Leo looking at me with barely contained excitement. "And even as I wander, I'm keeping you in sight. You're a candle in the window on a cold dark winter's night. "Happy tears sprung to my eyes, I couldn't help it. "And I'm getting closer then I ever thought I might..." And as I glanced out the window, everything from that faithful day at the arcade came flooding back.

Flashback Start

"And I can't fight this feeling anymore, I've forgotten what I started fighting for..." My friends and I all looked up from playing Pacman and towards the karaoke. My jaw dropped; it was Bratt, on his knees and singing with all the power in his lungs. "It's time to bring this ship into the shore. And throw away the oars, forever." A small crowd of girl had begun to gather, my friends dragging me up to the blue couch lounge area. I rolled my eyes at their eagerness, even if he did have a good singing voice, it was just a song.

" 'Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore...I've forgotten what I started fighting for. And if I have to crawl upon the floor, come crushing through your door...baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore." Every young female squealed, blurring out a lot of the words for me. Deciding I've had enough of this, I turned and headed back towards the table and grabbed my stuff. I whirled back around to see if my friends were coming with when I noticed it; Bratt was looking only at me, just like the first time we met at the park. He held out a hand to me, brown eyes glowing with unbelievable emotion.

"And even as I wander, I'm keeping you in sight..." My heart stopped when he pointed directly at me, causing my friends to look over with gaping mouths. "You're a candle in the window, on a cold dark winter's night..." He started slowly down from the stage, adoring fans parting as though he was Moses and they the Red Sea. "And I'm getting closer then I ever thought I might..." Everything else seemed to slow as he approached, the only thing moving at a normal speed was his singing, not to anyone else: he was singing to me.

"And I can't fight this feeling anymore...I've forgotten what I started fighting for. It's time to bring this ship into the shore. And throw away the oars, forever. 'Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore...I've forgotten what I started fighting for. And if I have to crawl upon the floor, come crashing through your door..." He was right in front of me now, looking shyly into my eyes.

"Baby I can't fight this feeling anymore." He lowered the mic slowly, smiling innocently with cheeks that were as red as mine. The applause was defining but neither one of us heard it, I lowered my head with a nervous giggle. "That was a...good performance." "Thanks, I did it for you." My whole body went warm.

"Um, well...you have a good...well it's more then good, you have a nice-" I was cut off by his kiss on my cheek. Time stood still as I touched the spot with a gaping mouth, looking up to see him smiling softly.

"Same time next week?" I barely nodded. "Uh huh." "See you then." And as he walked off, I felt like I should be pissed, but I couldn't think straight. Not with his kiss lingering on my cheek.

Flashback End

I snapped out of it to see Leo's smug smile beaming up at me, I rolled my eyes with a slightly choked up sigh. "Fine yes, you got me; I love Bratt!" "Good, because he needs you." "What do you mean?" He paused before replying.

"He has the girls, our cousins!" "WHAT?!?!" "Yeah, and dad Gru and Lucy went off in the main villain traveler to save them. What are we gonna do?" I threw open my bedroom doors and ran all teh way into the villain headquarters, typing in a code so that a whole new section opened up, I smiled at his open mouth.

"Who's ready to go on their first mission?" His open mouth fell to a smile as he bounced up and down a dozen times. "Me me me!!!" And I just laughed.