Meeting an Old Friend

After one more day of double checking the details, all was set and ready to roll.

Gathering some information, uncle found Balthazar's hideout some hundred miles out in the middle of the ocean. Borrowing the spare speed boat, I rode quickly across the water in red and gold style.

I wasn't all that surprised to see a tall, thin purple triangle with a Rubik's Cube balanced on top come into view. Unsure where to enter, I drove around it a few times, seeking a clue.

When I stopped, a sleek white with a purple stripe speed boat pulled up beside me. Sighing softly, I turned to face the rider.

It had been awhile since I last saw his face, minus the fact it was thinner and the mustache, he hadn't changed a bit.

"Duchess?" he almost threw himself over the railing. "Damn...you've grown." I shrugged.

"So have you." "Yeah, but I don't have lips as pink as cotton candy." His eyes drifted to my window. "Or tits that look so tempting to taste." He wiggled his eyebrows at me as I groaned loudly.

"On second thought, maybe you haven't changed. You still disgust me." He laughed.

"Only you Duchess darling dearest." He playfully winked. "Only you."

And for some reason, I found myself greatly suppressing a smile that still managed to lightly tug at my lips and sparkle in my eyes.

~

As much as I hated to admit it, Balthazar's place was pretty cool. His love for the '80s was rubbing off on me.

"So...did you like my gifts? Diamonds are a girls best friend as they say."

It wasn't like him to be so nervous around me. Then again, it wasn't like me to be within his arms reach.

I nodded. "Yes. They were very...shiny." It was a dumb answer but he took it like an eager child might take candy.

"Speaking of those presents, how the hell did you know where I live?" He shrugged with a sly smile.

"I have my sources." I rolled my eyes just as he touched my upper arm and pulled me into his side. My cheeks exploded with cherry red warmth.

"Balthazar-" "Bratt's fine." "Right. Bratt." I pried his fingers off and took a step back.

"Bratt, could you...not touch me like that?" He chose to play stupid and shrugged.

"Like what?" In my mind, I was groaning loudly.

"Like we've known each other forever." "But we have known each other forever. Don't you remember all the good times we had?"

The question cut me like a knife, and from the wound memories flowed forth. I bit my lower lip for a reason unknown and avoided looking into his eyes.

Even so, he noticed I was upset and took a moment to think.

"Come on, I want to show you something." And before I could react, he grabbed my arm and pulled me down the hall.