4 - Lillian

I can't believe what just happened. I watched Cora cry, trying not to let it show.

"Are you okay?" I asked

"How can she leave, just like that?" She said, "Probably didn't even think it through."

I stepped forward and, put a hand on her shoulder, "She'll come back." Cora shook her head.

Jacob walked in, a little frazzled.

"Tell her Zee'll come back." I asked him.

He shook his head, too. Then he sat down, not meeting anyone's eyes.

"What happened?" Cora asked. Jacob leaned back in the chair and closed his eyes.

I decided not to question him.

Instead I asked, "Are you guys going to be okay?"

"Yeah." Jacob said, "I think we should leave."

Jacob got up and Cora said, "Thanks." To me. I nodded in response.

Cora put on a small smile, "Well, bye."

"See you at school." Jacob said. He got up and left.

Cora was about to follow but she stopped, "Can you not tell anyone about Zee?" She asked.

"I promise."

She nodded, "Thank you."

Then she left.

I was all alone with the criminals that were behind bars. "Hey girl!" One shouted. I rolled my eyes and walked past him, out the door, not even bothering hearing what he had to say.

It was chilly outside too. I shivered again and looked around to see if anyone is looking at me.

Then I rushed into the woods, the one Zee disappeared into.

I looked around. It was pretty dark, with the trees blocking out the bit of the sun that done through the clouds.

"What are you doing here?" A male voice asked.

I jumped. Looking around, there no one was in sight.

"Wh-who are you?" I stuttered.

"The real question is, who are you?" He said.

"Name's Lillian." I said. I almost face-palmed for that. Why would I tell some random stranger my name?

A high- school boy, about my age, stepped out of the shadows, "Okay, Lillian. What is a townie girl like yourself doing out here, in the forest?"

Townie girl?

I took a deep breath and just came out with it, "Have you seen a girl with brown hair and green eyes come through here?"

"What's it to you?"

"She's a... friend of mine." I said, hoping I can get away with the lie. He seemed to buy it.

"Yeah, a girl came through here about five minutes ago. From the speed she was running, I'd say she's long gone." Then he added, "What happened?"

I shook my head, "It's nothing."

"Doesn't seem like nothing." He said, "It seemed like she was running away."

I sighed.

"I'll take that as a yes." He said.

"I didn't catch your name." I said. "I didn't give it." He said, then smiled,

"It's Ethan."

I nodded, "Well thanks... Ethan."