18 - Cora

I went out on one of my 'walks'. And for no reason, I started to run. I didn't pay attention to where I was running, and I was suddenly in the forest. I looked around, to see which way was the exit.

That was stupid.

I should've just gone backwards, but, since I was turned, around, I didn't know which way that was. I checked my pockets, and remembered that I left my phone at home. "Stupid, stupid." I scolded myself. And on top of that, it started to snow.

I sighed and started to walk in a direction, not knowing where I was going. The forest started to get thicker, and I knew I was going the wrong direction. Or was I? The ground and trees were blanketed in snow, which made everything white, which was even more confusing. I sat down, not knowing what to do.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek. What kind of teenager, leaves their phone at home, doesn't look where they are going, and then gets lost in the woods? I frown at my shoes. It's starting to get pretty chilly out here. I see my breath in the air.

Shivering, I get up. I need to get back- ow. I look around, and see it start to hail and sleet. "You can't be serious." I muttered.

"Hello?" I hear.

I turn around and behind me was Aidan. I let out a huge breath, "Aidan!"

"Oh, you heard me." He said. "Of course I heard you. Why wouldn't I?" I said, a little confused. "Well, I saw you running into the forest. I called after you, but you didn't answer and so I followed you." Then he quickly added, "I'm not creepy,I just wanted to see what you were doing." I smiled, "I didn't think you were." I said. He nodded.

"So, do you know the way home?" I asked. "Yes, I do." Then he smiled, "Follow me." And, even though I was a little embarrassed, I smiled back. We started walking to, what I guess was out of the forest. Then, the snow started coming down to the point where I couldn't see my hands in front of my face. I couldn't feel my face. "Aidan?" I asked. I didn't hear anything besides the wind howling in my ears. "Aidan!" I yelled at the top of my lungs.

I couldn't hear him, but I felt a grip around my wrist and someone pulled me toward somewhere.

Not strong enough to resist, I stumble along. Suddenly, I felt less wind on my face, and the snow and hail cleared from my vision. I brushed myself off and realized that it was it fact Aidan who brought me... Where? "Where exactly are we?" I ask. "In a cave... that I found. That was really lucky."

"Yeah, it was. Thanks." He nodded, then said, looks like we need to stay here, at least until the storm dies down." Stuck here? In a cave? With Aidan? This will end badly. Probably with me really embarrassing myself and him never wanting to see my face again.

"Oh, and do you feel okay? With your arms and everything..." "What's wrong with my..." I trail off as I look down at my arms. They are covered with scratches and blood. "Oh." I said. I looked at him. His face was grim and worried.

"I'll be fine." I said, reassuringly. "You sure?" He asks. "Yeah, I'll just get it treated when we get out here." Shoot. Did I send the message that I don't want to be here with him? Did I screw this up already? He didn't look any less concerned. "Here, you can come deeper into the cave. It's probably warmer." I did. The cave started to grow wider. After a few moments, Aidan followed.

"It's still kind of chilly." I muttered, "Would be nice if we had a fire or something." Then I remembered last time Aidan created a fire."Oh, um, you don't have to... I mean... um, nevermind, it's not that cold anyway."

Great way to make a fool of yourself Cora, I scolded myself. I look up at him and he was looking at me as well. "Are you really cold?" He asks softly. "I'm fine." I say. Maybe, it's because he feels bad for me, but he subtly flicked his wrist and a fire blazed in front of me.

It was a little weird because there was no wood or anything to support it. It was just fire floating on stone. I smiled as Aidan sat down next to me, "Thanks." I said. He smiled back.

Maybe I shouldn't have but I asked, "Were you practicing?" Aidan hates magic, which is kind of obvious. The fact that he was actually good at it, wasn't. "Not exactly." He said. What is that supposed to mean? We sat there in silence for a few moments.

"It's still snowing outside." I said, trying to make small talk. Silence is kind of scary to me. "Yeah, it's snowing, and hailing and everything in between." He said. After a moment he said,"Are you sure you're okay?" I nodded, though now that my arms are defrosting I can feel the cuts made from the hail sting.

We sank into a comfortable silence. After a moment, when I thought Aidan had fallen asleep or something, I looked at him to make sure. He was still awake. He looked back at me.

There was an inch between us.

And suddenly, there was none.

Before I realized, what just happened, his lips were pressed against mine again. The cold didn't really bother me anymore. I just wanted to catch this moment in a jar and keep it forever.