Chapter 13

Mona's POV

It was dawn when we decided to stop running. The two of us had reached a riverbank crossing with many large rocks nearby, almost completely concealing it.

"We should stop here," I said. "I'm so glad to hear you say that because I have zero energy left," Ali admitted.

"Yeah. Based on how long we've been moving, I'm positive that we covered enough ground where that creep can't get to us and these rocks will keep us hidden."

We removed our jackets and used them as pillows.

The sounds of birds chittering awoke me from my peaceful slumber.

I opened my eyes, seeing the sun shining brightly, which made me believe that it was nearing midday.

"Ali come on wake up. We gotta go," I shook her. "Hmm?" She answered sleepily.

"Wake up."

"Few more minutes," came her lazy reply. "No. Get up," I violently shook her.

We both stood up and stretched our tired muscles. I heard a noise, like someone nearing us.

"Wait," I instructed. "Get down." She did as told and I peered up from behind a rock.

Seeing nothing, I signaled to Ali that it was safe to move again.

After a few more steps, I finally saw a road. Alison and I hurriedly climbed the mini hill and stepped onto the road.

We decided to follow the road and see where it takes us. While we were walking, I saw Ali, making hand signals to a passing vehicle.

Ezra. Ezra pulled off the side if the road and greeted us. I felt relieved.

I noticed that Alison's and Ezra's hug, lasted a bit longer than what's normal and it looked more intimate, but he's probably just relieved to see her.

"How did you get here?" She asked. "Caleb called me from New York and told me that he couldn't reach Hanna or any of you guys, so he tracked her cellphone and gave me the location and here I am," he explained.

"Thank God," I said. "Where are the others?" He asked. "We don't kmow. From we got here, some freak has been harrassing us and one by one, the ohers started disappearing. First Spencer, then Aria, then Em, then Hanna," Alison explained.

"Now us," I chimed in.

"Well come on. Let's go find the others," Ezra said.

"How will we know where to go?" Alison asked.

"Caleb gave me a map representation of where the phones are and most likely we'll find Hanna and the others where the phones are or nearby."

"But the way Alison and I came, it took us forever to get here," I told him.

"There's a shortcut. This way," he led the way.

Shortcut was right because within a few minutes, we were back at that creepy old house.

Ezra drew a gun and told us to get behind him. He counted to three and then he kicked the door open.

Third Person POV

When Ezra kicked the door open, Alison and Mona gasped at the horrid sight of their four best friends, sitting back against each others, tied up and gagged.

Spencer was in the worst condition. Her hair was damp, presumably with sweat, she was noticably skinnier and paler.

Emily had a clear look of fear, spread across her face and Hanna was just constantly shaking.

Mona looked around the room searching for red hoodie, but he wasn't in sight.

Immediately Mona, Alison and Ezra started untying the four girls.

Somewhere along the line, this all felt a little off to Alison. The fact that red hoodie didn't bother to chase her and Mona down when they escaped. If Caleb could find out about a shortcut from all the way in New York, surely red hoodie had to have known about it and could use it to follow the girls.

Emily noticed the unsettled look that displayed itself across Ali's features.

"Ali what's wrong?" She asked. Alison shook her head but the thought still lingered.

After the whole mini reunion, all seven people were ready to head out, when the door opened, revealing red hoodie.

Ezra pointed his gun at red hoodie. This time red hoodie was wearing a mask.

He took a seat and began clapping. "Bravo. Bravo. You all found each other. Congratulations. The chase was truly..."

"Exhilirating," he finished, removing the mask and turning off the voice modifier.

"Wren?" Mona and Alison asked, looking shocked, but the other four gave him a look of disapproval, already knowing it was him.

But what came as a shock was when "Wren" removed his face.

Everyone stood shocked at who the real red hoodie was...