Chapter 1

Honey
____________

"One, two, three...ten! Ready or not, here I come!" exclaimed a freckled-faced boy, jumping off the weathered wooden bench. He dashed through the bustling playground, eagerly seeking out the other children.

A group of teenagers engaged in an intense basketball match on the nearby court, while a few others opted for a game of volleyball in the open field.

Underneath a neem tree, nestled on a pink blanket amid the lush, emerald-cut grass, Honey remained engrossed in the final pages of Nini Simone's novel, "Cold as Ice." Occasionally, she glanced up, her eyes scanning the basketball court in hopes of spotting her boyfriend, Dion Sanders.

Sunday afternoons drew Honey out of the familiar confines of her home, luring her to the park where all the excitement was. This was Dion's cherished haven, the go-to spot for him and his friends. It held a special significance for them, as it was the only time Honey could steal precious moments alone with Dion. However, an entire week had passed since their last encounter, due to Dion's suspension following a schoolyard altercation.

Raising her eyes from the captivating words on the page, Honey cast a wistful glance at the basketball court. Disappointment settled in as Dion's absence became apparent. A profound sense of loneliness engulfed her, prompting a sigh that seemed to release the weight of her longing. Days like these she deeply yearned the presence of a group of friends to share moments with.

Amidst the busyness of her days consumed by schoolwork and tending to her ailing mother, Honey often found herself questioning the purpose of longing for more. She rarely had the luxury of free time because she spent the most of her time caring for her mother, whose health had been declining over the past few years.
The opportunity to simply hang out with friends seemed like an elusive dream.

Nevertheless, Honey persisted in her observation of the basketball court, her gaze fixed. And then, her eyes finally landed on Dion. There he sat on a bench, in a deep conversation with a group of girls.

Dion's magnetic personality naturally drew people to him, particularly the opposite gender. His outgoing nature and charm made him a captivating presence, effortlessly captivating those around him, including the girls who yearned for his company.

Their paths crossed on the first day of their junior year, seated together in their very first class. However, it wasn't until March of that year that Dion mustered the courage to confess his feelings for Honey. Yet, despite him wanting to be with her, he made her keep their blossoming relationship a secret.

Though Honey despised the need for secrecy, she understood the reasons behind Dion's plea. Dating was complicated for him, as his parents held staunch views regarding relationships. In their eyes, romantic entanglements posed a distraction to school and extracurricular activities. Dion's parents upheld strict standards across the board, leaving no room for deviation.

Honey shifted her focus back to the pages of her book, though her thoughts remained preoccupied by the sight of Dion. The encounter had left her unable to concentrate on the story unfolding along the pages.

As a few minutes ticked by, impatience began to gnaw at Honey. Weary of waiting for Dion to join her, she contemplated gathering her belongings and bringing her time at the park to an end. Just as she entertained the idea, Dion appeared, strolling leisurely across the field from the basketball court.