Chapter 3

Honey
________________

Restlessly drumming her fingernails against the surface of the office desk, Honey released a frustrated sigh. True to her word, her mother had followed through with her plans, causing a change in Honey's schedule.

The guidance counselor, Mrs. Brookes, wasted no time in making the necessary changes, and the very next day, Honey found herself with a new schedule. While it wasn't necessarily a major issue, one notable alteration was her lunch period. What used to be first lunch had now become second lunch. This change brought about an unintended consequence—Honey's usual spot in the library during lunchtime was no longer accessible. Unfortunately, the library remained closed during second lunch, leaving Honey with no choice but to join the rest of the students in the bustling courtyard.

After Mrs. Brookes handed her the printed schedule, Honey rose from her seat and examined it.

"Honey, remember that my office is always available if you need to talk to someone. I consider bullying a serious matter."

"Thank you, Mrs. Brookes."

Hoping to steer clear of discussing her personal issues, Honey swiftly left the office. She knew the school rarely took significant action against bullying. The bully might receive a one-week suspension at most and then return to tormenting others. It seemed like nobody truly took the issue seriously.

As Honey stepped out into the quiet hallway, she accidentally bumped into Isaac, a familiar face. His initial frown transformed into a warm smile.

"Hey, Honey."

"Hey," she greeted, returning the smile.

"Where are you going?" Isaac asked, curiously.

"To class. I just got a schedule change," Honey explained, holding up her printed schedule.

Isaac's eyes scanned the paper as he quickly processed the information. "We have fourth class together. You should join us for lunch."

Honey furrowed her eyebrows, unsure of what to expect. "Us?"

"Yeah, me, Asha, and Brielle. They're really cool, I promise," Isaac assured her.

"Okay," Honey replied, her hesitation fading.

"See you in fourth," Isaac said, flashing another friendly smile before they both went their separate ways.

Honey made way for Isaac as he entered the front office. Continuing down the hall, she carefully examined her revised schedule. Most of her teachers remained the same, but two changes caught her attention. Mrs. Bridgette was no longer listed, meaning she could finally return Quan's borrowed poster board. It seemed he would have to do the project on his own now.

The thought brought her a sense of relief.

The first three classes of the day flew by quickly, and as the fourth class approached, Honey felt anxious. When she entered the classroom, she noticed Isaac had saved a seat for her in the back. The desks were arranged in pairs, pushed together to foster communication and teamwork. It turned out to be an elective—Introduction to Communications and Speech—a random class she hadn't chosen herself.