Chapter 11

Kai
____________

Late Friday night, Kai sauntered through the almost empty salon, his eyes scanning the dimly lit space in search of Isaac. Having waited outside for about thirty minutes, he was growing impatient. The beauty bar where Isaac usually worked appeared empty, with the lights turned off, except for the front desk and the hair salon area. Noticing Cheyenne's car still parked out front, Kai knew she was still there.

As Kai let himself inside, the door opening and closing behind him, he noticed Cheyenne standing at her station while Isaac sat in one of the chairs. The two of them had been engaged in a conversation that abruptly halted as they heard the salon's door open.

"What's going on?" Kai asked, his tone filled with curiosity and slight annoyance.

"Oh, it's just Kai," Isaac replied in relief.

Cheyenne remained silent, her gaze fixed on the floor.

"I've been waiting for you for a whole thirty minutes."

"I was talking to Chey." Another awkward silence enveloped the room, broken by Isaac's exasperated sigh as he finally spoke up again, "Can you two just talk it out already and stop being so stubborn?"

Kai cleared his throat, his words still held back by lingering tension.

"There isn't anything to talk about," Cheyenne stated firmly.

"It's a lot to talk about, a lot left unsaid. Miracle..." Isaac began, but Cheyenne interrupted him, her frown deepening.

"She has nothing to do with this, Isaac."

"It's the truth. She has a lot to do with why you two haven't talked in what? Two years?" Isaac's frustration seeped into his words.

Kai couldn't help but snicker, "I'm not the one holding a grudge."

"I have every reason. You're the one who invited her, my only best friend to that fucking party!" Cheyenne snaps. "You were with her, you were supposed to keep an eye on her, especially since she was high and drunk. But you let her out of your sight. Left her alone long enough to let her get in her car and leave. That's real fucked up."

"Don't you think I know that? Miracle died in my arms, I have to live with that shit every fucking day knowing it was my fault. I lost her too."

Kai had invited Miracle to the party thrown by their best friend, Omar. He had made a promise not to miss it, so he thought it would be fun to have her there. They had planned to stay for just an hour, but as the night unfolded and a few drinks were consumed, time slipped away from their grasp. Kai found himself engrossed in dice games, enthusiastically betting money with his friends, oblivious to Miracle's absence by his side.

When he finally noticed her absence, panic set in. He searched the whole house, only to catch sight of Miracle speeding away in her car, driving recklessly down the street. Dread filled his heart as he hurriedly pursued her. However, Miracle lost control of the vehicle, crashing into a tree not far from the party.

The memories of that tragic night remained etched in Kai's mind with painful clarity. He remembered the desperate cries for help that escaped his lips as he rushed towards the wreckage. He remembered pulling Miracle out of the mangled car and sinking to the ground, cradling her fragile body in his arms. He pleaded with her, urging her to keep breathing, assuring her that everything would be okay.