Chapter 21

Kai
______________

Echoing sounds of hefty trucks filled the tunnels, weaving through the underground warehouse. Their engines roared reverberating off the cold concrete walls. Kai stood at the center of the office behind the one-way glass window, hands snug inside his pocket as he listened to the rhythmic clanking of trucks being loaded and unloaded.

Shipment after shipment, nonstop motion.

It's been a while since he's stepped foot inside of the warehouse, discovering that everything remained unchanged, just as he remembered it from the time his uncle was alive. As Kai's thoughts meandered, he contemplated where his life might have veered had it not been for his uncle's influence. Prior to delving into the world of the cartel, and amidst tattooing in his parents' house, he occasionally dabbled into selling illegal drugs. Recognizing that this path could have entangled him into deep trouble, he acknowledged his uncle's intervention as the pivotal moment that diverted him from becoming a corner boy or joining a gang.

Stepping into his uncle's shoes as a cartel leader might have been equally perilous, but Kai valued the autonomy it granted him. Making his own decisions, he moved how he wanted too and he refused to let anyone boss him around. The sense of power he held was undeniably satisfying.

Breaking his thoughts, he could hear some of the men in his crew begin to bicker about their assignments nearby. They were accustomed to taking orders from Omar, however Kai sent him to Cancun, Mexico for spring break with his girlfriend, Kamille. Omar had been solid since they were kids, and this was Kai's gesture to show appreciation for everything Omar has done. Persuading Omar to take a vacation required some effort, but eventually, he gave in and decided to go.

Kai shifted his focus towards the three who were arguing, their unawareness of his presence apparent as he stood a few feet away. All three of them stood in a small huddle next to the office, their voices growing too loud for Kai's comfort and disturbing the others. With hands casually tucked in his pockets, he nodded towards one of his personal guards, "Send them to the processing room. Strip them of everything."

He remained fixated on them through the window, a silent observer to the unfolding drama. Initially, they resisted the guard's authority, but the situation escalated when another guard interjected, his menacing posture emphasized by the gun he brandished. Reluctantly, the men relented, complying with the new commands and disappearing through the double doors leading to the processing room. Kai's eyes tracked their retreating figures until they vanished from sight. Then, his attention shifted to the bustling activity within the warehouse, where the other workers diligently carried out their jobs, seemingly oblivious to the earlier altercation. Still, none of them knew who they were working for as Kai remained low-key. Despite the tension and uncertainty surrounding the operation, Kai maintained his composed demeanor.

The sound of his burner phone ringing shattered the silence in the office. Kai sauntered over to the table where it lay, his gaze falling on the caller ID—an unknown number. He allowed it to ring for a few minutes before it stopped, only to start ringing again. Instead of letting it persist, he answered the phone. Through the speaker, the deep raspy voice of Robert Fontaine resonated.

"We need to talk, bring Soleia with you," Robert stated before ending the call. Shortly after, Kai's phone emitted a notification sound. It was a text containing the address to the location where Robert wanted to meet.

Kai's mind began to wander as he attempted to decipher what Robert needed to discuss. They had returned from the business meeting earlier than expected. After another glance out the window, Kai made his way to the garage where his chauffeur awaited. He settled into the backseat and instructed the driver to take him back to his apartment.