Chapter 22

Honey
______________

"I thought we were just grabbing breakfast." Honey stated softly.

Honey's eyes darted around, taking in the breathtaking sight of the perfect, clear blue waters. Near the edge sat a yacht, its sleek white hull glistening in the sunlight. Inside, a luxurious arrangement of blankets, plush pillows, and crystal glasses awaited them. A chef was laying out a freshly cooked breakfast spread on a polished table, complete with chilled apple juice, orange juice and an assortment of pastries and fruits. Honey stared out in awe; she had never seen anything like it.

"We are."

The warm spring air blew through her silky hair as she stood there, surrounded by the blossoming trees swaying gently in the breeze. In her hip-hugging maxi skirt and graphic cropped top, she looked like a vision of spring itself. As she watched Kai climb inside the yacht, the vibrant colors of nature seemed to accentuate the moment. With a graceful movement, he reached out for her hand, his touch sending a shiver of eagerness down her spine.

She followed him inside the yacht and to the table, listening as Kai spoke with the chef and thanked him before the chef left them alone. Honey was momentarily speechless, still amazed by the breakfast date. Taking a seat across from Kai, she looked over at him and caught his loving gaze, causing her to blush and smile.

Honey's eyes flickered across the table, drawn to the sumptuous array of food before her. "Wow, this looks so good," she remarked, her appetite whetted by the sight. With so many tempting options laid out before her, she found herself momentarily at a loss, unsure of where to start.

"Yeah chef Thierry be throwing down in the kitchen. I was lucky enough to get him to do this on his day off." Kai explained.

"On his day off?"

"He's a friend of the family. My uncle always had him cater special occasions."

Honey nodded as she indulged in the eggs and then the waffles, savoring the homemade flavors. "I can definitely see why," she murmured appreciatively, between bites. She could hear Kai chuckling as she took a few more bites of her food. A comfortable silence settled between them as thoughts from yesterday lingered in her mind as they glided over the water. Lost in contemplation, Honey absently watched the scenery around them until Kai's voice broke through her chaotic thoughts.

"Bae," Kai gently grabbed Honey's hand, causing her to look over at him. They were both still seated at the table.

"Yeah?"

"Is something wrong? I've been calling your name for a minute. You've been a little quiet all morning," he said with concern.

"I'm okay," she forced a smile, but Kai didn't return it. Instead, he held a worried expression on his face.

"I know when something's wrong, so tell me what's up. Did I do something wrong?"

Honey slid over to the same side of the table, taking a seat next to him. She turned to him, giving him her full attention. Placing the palm of her hand on the side of his face, she leaned in to softly kiss his lips. "No, I promise you it's not you. You haven't done a single thing wrong. You always know what I need, and today was really a day that I needed."

"You know I'll put niggas in the dirt about you, right?" Kai wasn't letting up.

Honey laughed a little because she thought that it was only a joke but the look on his face said otherwise. Instead of questioning what he meant by it, she sighed inwardly, torn between honesty and the need to shield Kai from her troubles. She couldn't bear the thought of him getting hurt or involved in her problems. "I'm just exhausted from working extra hours, studying for exams at school, and worrying about whether my GPA will be good enough for college," she ranted, intentionally leaving out the main issue that was troubling her the most.