Chapter 9

Kai
_____________

Reclining in the chair, Kai leans back and props his feet up on the desk. The sound of footsteps reverberates through the expansive warehouse. He chuckles as the footsteps come to a halt a few feet in front of him.

"This warehouse is too small for risky business," Javion remarks.

Glancing at Omar, who's leaning against the wall behind him, they share a laugh. Kai would never operate in a warehouse that's easily visible. That would be the quickest way to get caught. He's been taught to be much more cunning than that. His operation is underground, well-hidden and hard to find.

"Why are you fuckin' with my people? Do you have a death wish or something?" Kai confronts him.

"You haven't held up your end of the deal, and you're not an easy person to get in touch with. I had to do something to get your attention," Javion explains.

Rising to his feet, Kai fixed his cold gaze on Javion. "Messing with my operation is the worst move, motherfucker. You're out here robbing my corner boys, thinking I'll continue with the deal."

"If you want to keep me quiet, you don't have a choice. Plus, you owe me for Miracle," Javion retorts.

A brief silence hung in the air as he avoided mentioning her, still haunted by the tragedy. No amount of money could bring her back. Instead of dwelling on her, Kai decides to ask, "How much?"

"I need five million by the end of the week," Javion replies.

Omar scoffs, "What the fuck is this nigga on?"

"Fuck do you think I am? Your personal bank? I'm not giving you five million. Fifty thousand is already pushing it," Kai responds firmly.

Javion's smirk fades as he threatens, "How about I pay a visit to Mrs. King at the funeral home and tell her the truth about everything?"

Kai snickers, but doesn't utter a word. He grabs the duffel bag from the desk, walks over to Javion, and drops it at his feet.

"Just in time for my date with my girl tonight. Thanks for coming through. I'll be in touch," Javion smirks, grabbing the bag and leaving the warehouse.

"I know he's your brother, but you should've taken care of that loose end a long time ago," Omar comments.

"I'm not worried about him. Any updates on that shipment?" Kai asks, swiftly shifting the conversation to business.

Kai never wants to harm Javion. Blood is blood, regardless of their complicated history. Their father's infidelity with Kai's mother's best friend is the root of their strained relationship. To protect his mother from being hurt, Kai has kept their secrets hidden and shielded his father. But this secret won't remain concealed for long, which is why he intends to confront his father after leaving the warehouse.

"It arrived last night on the train. The entire shipment is here. We've moved it all to the next location," Omar reports.

"That's what I like to hear. Make sure it's distributed to every corner boy on every block, and triple the price," Kai instructs.

"Triple the price? You're not giving that nigga what he asked for, right?" Omar questions.

"The product is worth more than what I'm selling it for," Kai asserts.