#18. Mixed Signals

Ruth B - Dandelions  

I wasn't even aware that he had reached my stomach as I laid bare before him he looked up at me his gaze meeting mine as he spoke

" This child is mine. " He placed his hands onto my stomach as he came back up and whispered in my ear

" You're mine, Kylie is mine. " he laughed

" And I'm the only one allowed to touch you whenever I please. " That was his parting words as he gathered himself and retrieved the plate from my bed as he slowly departed from my room.

Maria's POV

There was a time when I was alone and I was perfectly fine with it, yes I hated the way I was but I made it through, my daughter would often drag me away from reality with her smile and her little laugh.

I was running away from accepting the fact that my mother left, and that my father loved his  son more than he loved me, running away from the fact that Shane would never change and now it all came crashing down on me. That thought dawned on me as he left the room maybe I should stop running and quit being a coward but it's easier said than done. I gathered my self and my thoughts and journeyed down stairs for my daughter as I reached the bottom of the stairs I saw her playing with Alexander.

'' Hey baby, it's time for bed.'' I called out to her she turned around and looked at me with a happy smile on her face. 

'' But I don't wanna go to bed. '' She replied back with a pout, sighing I called out to her with my hands but she still  refused to move. 

'' Ky... mommy can't do this right now, baby it's time for bed. ''

'' But mom'' She began to argue as Alexander looked at us 

'' Kylie but mommy nothing, say good night we are going to bed. '' Tears gathered in her eyes but I didn't care, this is her way of being manipulative  she turned around and gave Alexander a hug and marched right pass me. I tugged on her arm pulling her back she stared straight ahead not even sparing me a glance.

'' I have to take crap from everyone else Ky but I won't take it from my own child that was rude and you need to  drop the attitude or we are going to have a problem,  go up stairs and get ready for your bath.'' She looked up at me with teary eyes  and gave me a quiet 'sorry' before going up stairs, I ignored Alexander and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water on my way out I saw Xavier sitting on the stool with a glass in his hand I put my head down and tried to escape out of the kitchen, he grabbed my hand before I could leave. 

'' I'm sorry about what happened earlier, I swear I didn't mean it. '' He said quietly with my head still down I snatched my hand out of his. 

'' You don't have to lie to me Xavier, I know what I'm worth. '' With that I headed up  stairs and gave my daughter a bath and took her to bed, I swear every night before she goes to sleep she has to find a way to leave my speechless. 

''Mommy? '' She called out to me 

'' Yes Kylie '' 

'' Do you love him? ''  She questioned 

'' Who's him baby?''

'' Alex, do you love him?'' 

Turning to face her I replied 

'' Baby, sometimes you don't always get what you want, what I'm saying is that Mr Romano is not what I want but he likes you and you like him and anybody who cares for my little girl I'm willing to put up with them .''

She looked at me and smiled and snuggled up to me whispering before she went to sleep 

'' Soon mommy, soon you'll love him.''