The One Who Just Knows

-Present day-

Sam's POV

Dean's snoring was really pissing me off. But it was also kind of relieving, since it told me that he was relaxed.

I cast a glance at the backseat of the Impala.

Dean's head was leaning against the car window. His eyes were closed lightly, and his chest rose up and down in a normal manner.

His snoring was deep and relaxed, like it should be.

Cas was asleep aswell, quite close to Dean. His head lay on the headrest of the seat. Angels didn't really sleep that often, but it wasn't as rare as before.

His snoring was light and silent, as compared to Dean's. They both looked so much at peace despite the scars on Cas's face, which were healing on its own.

Dean was right, I had enough sleep for one day. I was wide awake anyways. And it looked like Dean hadn't had a good night's sleep in a long time.

I had really missed Cas. Maybe not as much as Dean, but I really missed him. He was my best friend, he was my brother. And I was glad he was back. But the thoughtful part of my brain kept wondering, what was the price that Dean would have to pay? Surely there had to be a catch.

My arm still ached. Alot.
But it wasn't as bad as before. I was just glad I could move it.

I held the steering wheel with one hand, and flexed my other.

We had about an hour or so left. I couldn't wait till Dean and Cas met Garth, Claire and Alex again. Infact, I couldn't wait till they met the entire compound, especially Shelby. It was a cheery place and a wonderful home. They would really like it there.

I looked back at the road, and kept going.

We had been talking for a long time. Cas told us about how he got out, and I told them my entire story, right from the start of the past year. I covered every nook and corner in describing Triple H Joint. Infact I couldn't stop talking about it. But they didn't seem to mind.

Then we filled in Cas with everything that's happened so far, in Heaven and Hell and on Earth.

Dean, however didn't say a word about his two years, and stayed surprisingly silent the whole time.

I knew it must've been hard for him. While I had found someone to take care of me and help me through my ways, Dean had probably been alone for the entirety of two years. I had found a family, who kept me sane and happy, while Dean had to do all the dirty work himself. I wonder where he'd been and what he'd been doing, but if he didn't want to talk about it, then I wouldn't push him.

Besides, I hadn't seen him this happy in a while, and I didn't want to ruin that. Cas always brought out the wonderful and glorious side of my brother. It was one of the many reasons I liked Cas so much.

Infact they were laughing so much, a while ago, they had to stop talking completely, and catch their breaths. Then they kept muttering things to each other, untill they dozed off.

I whisked my head towards them again.

Cas's head had fallen from the headrest and onto Dean's shoulder, where he adjusted himself comfortably in his sleep. They both snored away in harmony.

I found myself blushing for some reason.

Dean was such an idiot. If he could just widen his vision a little bit, he could've seen what I saw between them. Cas, the oblivious little guy that he was, wouldn't notice anything even if he tried.

I recalled what I saw back at the gas station.

Dean and Cas were sure they were going to die. And at the last moment, at the brink of death, they held each other's hand, for comfort.

I knew Dean loved Cas. He was, after all, his best friend. But Dean loved me too. Yet, he's never done that. Yes, he's saved me, he's protected me in every way possible. Everytime I died, he's mourned my death. But he's never outwardly shown an affection of love like that. He's always been closed and highly protective over me, but with Cas, he allowed him to see that he too, needed protection. And he asked the Angel for just that.

No. This was a different kind of love. One that Dean had never experienced. Not really.

Not with Cassie, or Lisa or any other stripper or prostitute he's been with.

I moved my eyes back at the road and bit my lips, trying to hold back a proud and impressed smile. After that failed, I tried to restrain the thirty seconds of uncontrolled giggling that was bubbling up in my chest.

I reached my good hand behind. I gently lifted Dean's hand from his lap and placed it on Cas's plam. There. The finishing touch was done.

I then, lunged at Dean's jacket pocket and grabbed a nutrition bar that he had stolen from the station.

I opened the packet and took a bite of the bar, savouring the taste.

I stepped on the pedal, as my big brother and the Angel snored in the background, and I thought of a thousand ways to take this 'profound bond' to the next step.