Chapter 3: Flower

Getting out of the car and walking into The Academy that night was like a dream.  Big gates as you entered and large buildings that reminded me of hotels. The place sort of reminded me of Harry Potter. I was just waiting for Harry to pop out from a tree and surprise me. Betty told me about The Academy and its rich history. After dinner, I slept in Betty’s dorm room for the night. The next day, I got a full tour of the campus.  Then we headed up to the girl's dorms and Betty had showed me where I would be staying.

            “Your roommate is Raven. Last I heard she escaped so maybe you’ll have the room to yourself.” A dark figure heaved itself through the third floor door.  It wore heeled, black boots and a white shirt that said wild kisses with a large lipstick print.  As the figure got closes, I could tell more details; long straight black hair, a lanky figure, an arm in a sling.

            She reached Betty and I and I swear I saw the devil in her eyes. “What the hell are you doing at my door?” She hissed furiously.

            “My friend here is going to be your new roommate.” Betty explained. I shyly smiled.  She seemed like one of those Goth girls I had seen at my old school. I had stayed clear from them because they were so moody.

            The girl in black squinted at us, “I didn’t ask for a roommate!”

            “You honestly didn’t have a choice Raven.” So her name was Raven. I filed that away in my mind.  Angrily, she pushed past us and slammed the door in our faces.

            “You may be my roommate, but that doesn’t mean I’ll let you in!” Raven screamed.  Blaring music began to play so we couldn’t reply.

            “So what am I supposed to do?” I asked.

            “We go to the head of girls dorms.  That would be Mrs. Berlowski. She teaches the biology type stuff. You’ll probably have her as a teacher.”  We bounced down the stairs.

            At the front desk a very young woman, in her early 20’s sat with her head in papers.  She had dark blond hair with streaks of light brown.  Her hands were skinny and so was the rest of her body which fit like a glove in her snug black dress and white, long sleeve shrug. A black leather clutch sat soundly next to her and I noticed her 4 inch heels with bowties as straps, peeking from her desk. 

            “Mrs. Berlowski?” Betty asked. She looked and batted her long eyelashes.

            “Can I help you?”

            “This is Flora. She’s new and she’s supposed to be sharing a dorm room with Raven, but she’s locked us out.” Mrs. Berlowski sighed deeply.

            “Again?”

            “Yes ma’am.” The teacher stood up and towered over us. She grabbed her keys from under the desk and sauntered over to the stairs. She stopped for one second, sighed and began her climb.  We followed with haste. 

            Once we reached the third floor, Mrs. Berlowski strood over in her heels to the door.  Blaring music still poured out from under the door. 

            “Open this door now Ms. Sterling!” No answer came, or at least from what we could hear.

            The teacher swore under her breath as she flipped through keys until she came to Raven’s dorm room.  She inserted the key and twisted.  The door knob unlocked and we were blasted with loud, rock music.  Raven was sprawled across her bed.  Her eyes didn’t show scared or frightened, the showed more annoyed and defeat.

            “If I wasn’t injured I would have flown off.” She said. Mrs. Berlowski, who was not happy at all, sauntered over to the IHome that sat on a night stand and unplugged it.  The blaring music shut off and our ears were at peace.

            “Get up and change into your school uniform.  Just because you’re not in class, doesn’t mean you can be out of uniform.” Raven stood up and I got another good look at her.  She had nice shaped lips and a small nose.  She mumbled a yes ma’am and Mrs. Berlowski nodded curtly and left.  Her heels clicked down the hall.  Betty stood in the room awkwardly.

            “Well, I’m gonna go change into my uniform.  Then I’ll give you a tour of campus and we’ll get you your schedule for the semester.” With that she waved and left me all alone.

            I looked around the room; there were two beds, one of course was Raven’s and the other must be mine.  I examined my half of the room and notice that my things had been transferred here.  A fresh uniform, which consisted of a white blouse, maroon skirt, a white pair of Mary Jane’s, a black jacket and a simple white canvas bag lay on the bed.  They didn’t look all that bad.  An IPhone also sat on the bed. When I turned it on, it had flowers as the lock screen picture. I thought it was funny.

            “What’s wrong with the uniforms?” I asked Raven as she stared angrily at the clothing.

            “They don’t show your style.” Raven eyed me down, “Not that you had any anyway.”

            My cheeks burned as I looked down. I changed rapidly and strapped my Mary Jane’s.  Raven had changed into her skirt and was now grabbing her blouse. She wore a white, lace bra that I wouldn’t catch myself in at all. She pulled the blouse over her head and dragged her shoes out from under her bed.  A soft knock sounded and Betty entered, wearing the same thing as I did.

            "You ready?"

            "Yeah," I said.  I slung my backpack onto my shoulder and headed out with Betty.