Chapter 23: Wolf

When we did reach the border, the sun was slowly setting, shadowing us with the last rays of the day.  I took the beautiful site in while the others discussed what was needed to be done next. The snow was tiring everyone out and we were all breathing hard. Sweat was staining our white caps that we wore to keep our ears warm.  I was very warm in my jacket and I could feel the cold through my boots. I was beginning to think that these boots were not a good idea since they were leather.

            "Once we crossed the border," Derek huffed as he sat down next to Raven on a rock to rest for a moment, "We can call Jacobson. None of us are going to hold up much longer." Jane started to chatter. I took a long swig of my water and then stuck it back into my backpack. None of us had eaten dinner so we were hungry and weak.

            "At least we're at the border," Jane muttered as she repositioned her backpack on her shoulders.

            "Betty, you're up," Derek said to her as he stood back up. She nodded as we camouflaged ourselves in the tree line.  We watched her with anticipation as she walked up to the guard posted there. It was a female guard with white army camouflage and no visible hair under her white winter hat. She must have cut it short. I hoped I wouldn't have to get that type of haircut.

            "What are you doing here student?" The guard snarled. Her voice sounded rough and not like a woman's at all.

            "My friends and I demand passage," She replied coolly, not losing composure. "You will let us pass and you will forget that we ever crossed your path today." The guard went into some sort of trance and repeated what Betty had told her eerily. Betty smiled and then signaled for us to come. We all clambered out of the trees as the guard watched us with a glazed look in her grayed eyes.  After we were a distance away, I looked back to see that she was still standing there, with that eerily look.

            "Freedom!" Jane shouted and Raven and Derek shushed her with smiles. A couple of us giggled under our gloved hands. The group continued walking until finally, when there was barely any light left, Derek stopped.

            "We're far enough that Jacobson can pick us up." He announced.

            "Warmth here we come," Raven exclaimed as Derek began to type the number in his phone.

            "Excuse me," A small voice asked behind us. We all whirled around to face Chelsey. Her green eyes danced with curiosity.  She wore black skinny jeans and a red sweater that said Riot on it in white lettering.  She also wore a black, leather jacket and black snow boots. 

            "Can we help you?" Derek growled; hostility in his voice. We all hated Chelsey; no one would deny that in the group.  She was so annoying and clingy and Jane thought she was a lesbian.

            "Not really, but you’re taking my souls away." Her eyes glowed red and rimmed as she eyed Rhett, then Jane and then Flora.

            "Demon," Raven hissed.

            Chelsey smirked as she cracked her knuckles. "Oh you were bound to find out eventually.  Good thing I brought back up." She snapped her fingers and out of nowhere, a group of demons jumped out.  Some were already in their forms of animals, while some of the others were in human form. There was a tiger and a jaguar that both changed to their human form. Derek stiffened with shock and pain. I stared at him with confusion.

              A water buck stood tall in the snow, its brown coat making it quite visible. A cloud leopard prowled next to the antelope, flexing its claws with anticipation. They both changed and the leopard became a tall, slender girl with ginger hair cascading out of her hat. The boy was taller and muscular. He stood behind her, a dark glare in his eyes as he placed his hands on her shoulders.  A small cluster of guys began cracking their knuckles, preparing for a fight, but one boy stood alone.  He looked awkward around the demons, as if he shouldn't be there.