Chapter 24: Raven

I could tell from the sky that we were losing and we needed to retreat soon.  When I heard Whitney scream, I nearly fell out of the sky. I knew something wasn't right, but I didn't have time to look.  Tanya's strength was not waning and we were not winning.  Betty had been knocked out in the snow, her nose gushing blood. A demon that had not changed to its animal form was attacking Flora, but Emmett defended her, knocking him out with his trunk. I could tell he still loved her, even though he was a demon. Flora though seemed pissed that he was helping her. I could hear her yelling at him to move and that she could take care of herself. Something had happened to her.

            Jane was still battling Jase, but she was losing. She was tired and her blows were not as strong. I landed just as Chelsey had joined Jane and Jase's fight. I changed and ran up to Whitney who stood in the bloodied snow.

            "Get to Flora and help Betty. We need to get out of here." She nodded, but I grabbed her hand, "Where's Rhett?" but she shook her head in sadness. I swore under my breath as I let her go and she ran off toward the demon elephant. I changed to my raven form and tried to help Jane. Before I even got to her, Chelsey jumped onto Jane and bit into her neck. Jane snarled and kept fighting, but I knew it was too late. Suddenly, while she fought, her body stalled and the venom began to take hold. She screeched as her back arched with a crack.  She fell in the snow, blood from the wound still gushing. Chelsey and Jase had changed back and smiled. I watched in horror as they watched the transformation.

            "Raven!" Derek yelled. He was already over with the others, helping Betty get up. I charged over there, knowing I couldn't help Jane anymore. It was too late.  

            "Why is he still here?" I snarled as I reached the group, sheltered by the large gray mass.

            "He's giving us a getaway.  Can you walk Betty?" He asked Betty. I looked into Flora's eyes and saw a different Flora that I hadn't seen before.  It almost seemed like the devil side of Flora.

            "Wait," She said before we began our trek into the woods.

            "Make it snappy, whatever it is." I demanded. We stood by as she walked up to the elephant and yanked on the chain around her neck. The chain broke with a click. 

            "You broke my heart," Flora stated. "Go to hell you bastard." She threw the necklace in front of his feet and stalked away, not taking a second look. I stared at her with astonishment and a gaping mouth.

             What had she done? I looked at Emmett.  He had changed to his human form and had bent down to pick up the broken necklace. He stared at it with pain.  For once, I felt bad for the guy. He had lost everything.

            "Quickly," Derek shouted.  We began our trek. "We can head to the trees and then to the road where Jacobson can track us."

            "I'm sorry Flora," Emmett called as we walked away. Flora didn't even turn around to acknowledge that he had spoke. She kept walking straight, not even turning at a sound of a twig behind her. As we entered the woods, Whitney changed to a wolf and tracked ahead, checking to make sure there weren't any other demons planted to hide in case we made an escape.  I could hear talking from a distance and then yelling.  Emmett would get shit for helping us.

            We came to a stopping point and Derek stopped to call Jacobson. The group was all very tired and battered up. Betty's nose had stopped bleeding, but her nose had swollen.  Derek called Jacobson and he rushed to get us.  No one said a word when we returned to walking. We just trudged through the snow. Whitney was covered in blood and she cradled Rhett's backpack like a security blanket. I had Jane's backpack with me as well. Maybe I would look through it before giving it to her family. Her family. I had forgotten about them. They would be so devastated by their eldest daughter going demon. I wasn't their daughter and I would never be, even if they thought so.