Chapter 4: Wolf

"I've never in the history of my school, seen a girl change into a wolf." Principal Williams admired.

            "Th-thank you sir." I stumbled on my words.  Where was Raven? Why did I have to talk to the principal?

            "It's very rare, you see." Principal Williams began, "It's now called ‘The Devil's Pet’, but of course it's just a name." The Devil's pet? Great. I stared at him with panic and confusion. Why would I need to know that?

            "Um...Tha-That's nice to know."

            "It is indeed. The wolf has a lot of history behind it. You should check it out." He saw my uneasiness and why I didn't answer so Williams changed the subject quickly. "So Whitney, what do you for fun?"

            "I…uh…Draw." I stammered picking something that just popped into my head. I had never really drawn anyway.  I didn't really do much since I was constantly on the move and in different foster homes.

            "Well, we'll have to enroll you in some art classes for your electives. Anything else you like to do?"

            "I sing…" I actually did like to sing, I just never thought I was good at it.

            The principal chuckled, "You'll fit perfectly in the choir.  My son, Derek's a tenor." He gestured to his son who had silently swooped in as an eagle through the open window.  He now sat quietly in the corner, studying the books on the shelves. As I watched him, I noticed he picked out a book and examined it curiously. It was dark, with the front worn off due to the age of the book. On the spine, I got a glimpse of the word; Reincarnation.  Principal Williams stood up which made me jump out of my trance.

            "I'll walk you to the girl's dorm room and check in with Mrs. Berlowski.  She'll get your schedule ready according to your shape shifting ability." He smiled kindly as he ushered out of his office.  Derek looked back, watching us silently with his eyes. He had such pretty eyes. I watched him as I was gently pushed out of the warm office.

            I still didn't have shoes on and I was wearing Raven's coat as we walked across the courtyard to the girl's dorm room.  By the time we made it, my feet felt red and throbbed angrily.  I thought Mrs. Berlowski would be older than what she looked like. She looked like she was 22.

            "Hello Mrs. Berlowski. This is Whitney Pinter.” He gestured to my presence. I shyly smiled as I stepped forward. “We need to prepare a schedule for her."

            "Is there anything that you would like to study for electives?" She asked as she began typing in information.

            "Well, some art classes and choir to start her off." 

            "What can she do?"

            "She's a wolf." Mrs. Berlowski continued typing until finally a printer sounded. She didn't seem fazed by the fact that I was a wolf, unlike Principal Williams who was shocked and excited at the same time. I wondered what he thought about because he didn’t seem sane.  She pulled it out and handed it to me. It had nine periods on it, including lunch period.

1.      Anatomy of Mammals

2.      Into to Art

3.      Intro to defense

4.      Study Hall

5.      Lunch

6.      Saving lives 1