Chapter 50

MAYA'S POV

I huffed as I dragged a box into my room. It felt like I was carrying the literal weight of 12 babies. It was hot as hell and I had been carrying boxes up the stairs for the majority of the day. I had finished packing early this morning when I had left her house.

I could feel sweat trickling down my back and abdomen. I didn't think this keyboard was going to be this heavy, but here I was struggling. I had been hanging out with Robyn for the past few days and it was becoming increasingly difficult concealing my whereabouts from her. Every time I told her I couldn't hang out until later because I was packing she gave me this look. The same look she would give me every time I left the house before we broke up.

It wasn't like I wasn't telling her the truth. I was spending my time packing up the rest of my stuff but I had also been searching multiple stores for the perfect gift for her. I had been to at least three stores today to find the perfect keyboard and new software for her computer. She loved making music and I just wanted to encourage that. I had also been looking at a mixer, but I decided against getting that. Maybe for her birthday.

Even before we agreed that we'd try and work this out I had already been set on buying her a gift. Lord knows her parents weren't going to get her anything. And I didn't want her to be completely alone on a holiday as important as Christmas.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead after I placed the box in my walk-in closet and stepped out, ready to leave my room and get back to work. But I was quickly brought back into my room when my phone buzzed incessantly on my nightstand.

"Hello?"

"What're you doing?" she asked, bypassing a greeting.

I allowed myself to sit down on my plush comforter for a moment and sighed. "Unpacking. What's up?"

"My parents came home and-"

I stood up from my bed, leaving my room with the phone pressed firmly to my ear. "Come over. You don't even have to ask. Are you okay?"

She paused and I could hear the waver in her voice. "I don't know...I-I just don't wanna be here."

"Do you want me to come get you? I'm already headed outside." It was silent for a few seconds. "Robyn?"

"I just don't wanna be here baby."

"I'm coming to get you. Okay?"

"Maya," she whined.

I fast walked to my car, slipping in. I quickly turned over the engine and pulled out of my driveway and out the large rustic gates that fenced in our new property. "I promise you. I'm coming."

"Can you stay on the phone with me please?"

"Of course. What do you wanna do when we come back to my place," I asked, trying to take her mind off of her parents.

"I don't know."

"We can swim if you want. Or sit and talk under the gazebo, maybe hang out in my room and watch some movies. Whatever you want."

I sped down the street, zipping around cars.

"I don't know. I wanna be with you."

I hit a corner, silently hoping that no pigs were around to pull me over. That was the last thing I needed right now.

"Give me.... like 7 more minutes. I'm coming sweetheart."

"Ok," she said sadly.

"What do you wanna eat when I get you? I was thinking maybe we could have sorbet or something and a couple bottles of mango champagne."