9: Gideon

Mabel's face turned pale. "Gideon!? What are you doing snooping around the shack?"

"Well," Gideon brushed the dust off of his jacket. "I was looking at the Mystery Shack. I'm looking into taking it over."

"First of all, I can't believe you just told me that." Mabel shook her head. "Second of all, why is the Shack closed?"

"You don't know?" Gideon smiled.

"What?"

"Mabel!" Bill's voice echoed through the trees, but it went right through Mabel's ear and out the other.

"The Stan twins went on a little vacation in August and haven't returned yet." Gideon explained. "Soos and Wendy were concerned of course, but they couldn't handle running the business themselves, so they decided to shut down the shack until the twins return."

"It's September now!" Mabel shook. "Where did they go? What happened to them!?"

"Last thing people saw was that they sailed off on some boat to seek adventure together." Gideon shrugged. "That's probably where they are. And wherever they are they don't have wifi to contact anyone."

"No." Mabel shook her head. "Something's wrong."

"Mabel!" Bill's voice was coming closer.

"What makes you think that?" Gideon asked.

"What doesn't make you think something's wrong?!" Mabel snapped. "What if they got lost, what if their boat-"

"Stop worrying so much." Gideon rolled his eyes.

"Bill!" Mabel shouted.

In a snap, Bill appeared in front of her. "What's wrong, Shooting Star? Is this kid bothering you?"

"Kid?" Gideon gasped. "How offending."

"Bill," Mabel grabbed Bill's hand, "Grunkle Stan and Ford are missing. Can you find them?"

"Find two people?" Bill smiled. "Easy enough."

"Bill Cipher," Gideon sighed, "I knew you looked familiar."

"Right..." Bill said.

"So you can find them, right?" Mabel asked.

"Sure thing, Shooting Star. I just need my gazing ball." Bill smiled.

"Thank goodness." Mabel sighed in relief. "The sooner you find them, the better I'll feel."

"I'll go right now." Bill kissed her forehead. "You should probably call Dipper."

"I will." Mabel squeezed his hand.

"Wait!" Gideon's mouth dropped. "Are you two a thing!?"

"Yeah," Bill laughed, "where were you in the last book?"

"I don't recall being in it." Gideon shrugged.

"That's because you're in middle school." Mabel said.

Gideon growled. "You'll love meh someday, Mabel Pines!"