Chapter 8

It's finally Friday, after what feels like an eternity of waiting. I rise early and loosely fishtail my hair, putting on my favorite worn yellow beanie. A nice little sweater dress and leggings (all gray) complete my warm outfit and I march down the street, walking through the door of the Elephant House at 8:01. Miriam is already seated with a latte, so I quickly order a cappuccino and sit down across from her. "Hey Sam!" She gives me a radiant smile. "How's your first week been?" I smile back. "Pretty good." She sits up straight, reading my face. "You met a fella." I am in shock. "What? How do you know that?" Her white smile widens even more. "I'm good at reading people. Sometimes it got me into trouble." I shake my head. "That sounds like you." She sips her coffee. "So. Where you from?" "San Francisco." "Nice. California Gurl!" She makes a quick goofy pose, and I giggle. "I'm from New York. Queens." She says. That's what her slight accent is. "I love New York! My parents would often take me and my brother over the summer." She smiles. "I love it there. But I came here to study because I felt like I needed some air." I nod. "I know what that feels like." My life was fine back at home, but it was so incredibly dull. Nothing ever happened, and I knew nothing ever would if I didn't ever do anything. So I got up and left. "Life isn't going to happen if you don't leap at opportunity," I say, quoting my mom. Miriam looks up, smiling. "My gramma used to say the same thing!" Oh, yeah. That was the only strange thing about my family.
I never had any grandparents.
If I did, I've never met them. When I asked, my parents just told me they had fallen out of contact. Mom's parents had passed away, I knew. But Dad's- we still had no clue. "Hello? Earth to Sam?" Miriam waves her hands in front of my face. "Sorry." I giggle, "Lost in thought." "Thinkin' bout that fella?" She asks, smirking mischievously. "No!" I say, blushing. She winks. We chat for a few more minutes, really hitting it off. I missed this, having a girl friend to talk with. I stand when my watch pings 9:30. "Oops, I've got to get going. I booked a trip out to the Highlands for the day. See you around, Miss Maxwell." Miriam says, gathering her coat and smiling. "Bye!" I wave and, after a few minutes, leave the Elephant House. I stand for a moment on the side of the Royal Mile, trying to decide where to go. On a whim, I pull out my phone and text Jaxon.
SM: hey Jaxon.
To my surprise, he texts back almost immediately.
JM: hey Sam.
SM: you busy?
JM: nah.
I pause for a minute, sort of uncertain. But I swallow and send the text anyways.
SM: Wanna meet somewhere?
A few agonizing seconds where I regret my existence, and then:
JM: sure. How about Old Calton Burial Ground in 5 mins?
SM: sure. See you there.
I exhale the breath I didn't know I was holding, and I blush. Hurrying down toward Holyrood, I follow my GPS until I'm standing on a stair step outside the cemetery. I stand awkwardly for a moment, debating on whether or not I should wait here for Jaxon, but I decide to go up the hill. The stones are resting on a tall mound of earth that I'm certain give a splendid view of the city. A small, cylindrical building that was probably a caretaker's home at some point sits near the peak, and before I can turn around and face the city, Jaxon comes from around a tree. His face lights up when he sees me. "Hey, Sam." He says in that adorable accent. My face warms. "Hey, Jaxon." "See the view yet?" He asks, stopping a few feet in front of me. I shake my head. "Just got here." He smiles and points out behind me, motioning for me to look. I turn and gasp.
The view is absolutely breathtaking.
The city is sprawled out beneath us, with lovely rolling green hills stretching to infinity behind Holyrood Castle. Jaxon comes to stand beside me. "Isn't it wonderful?" He says, slightly breathless. I nod, and silently add in my head, So are you. I smile softly as we admire the city from above.
******
A/N
Okay, I promise it'll get interesting soon! Pinky promise:)
Hope you're enjoying!