Chapter 2

A good 10 or 11 hours later, the plane lands with a jarring thunk in the Edinburgh airport. I pull my suitcase out of the overhead bin, collecting my things and getting off the plane as quickly as I can. Rushing through customs and immigration, I emerge from the airport to a biting autumn breeze. Not surprising. It may be October, but the U.K. is supposedly cold all the time. I squint, searching for my friend Sierra, who graciously agreed to study abroad as well and let me use her apartment for 6 months. I sigh and decide I better text her when I hear a cute voice behind me. "Sam! Samantha Amelie Maxwell!" I roll my eyes, smiling, then turn to face Sierra, a short, mousy-brown-haired girl wiggling through the crowd. "Hey, Sierra Victoria Augustine." I grin, less nervous now that I've found somebody I know. She smiles back. "Your hair is a lot darker now." She muses. "Yours is shorter." I shoot back. "Well, come on then. I've got a nice flat waiting for ye." She takes my hand and pulls me to the crosswalk. "We're pretty close to High Street, which I recommend checking out. You can walk pretty much everywhere. I've got a car, but driving is a dreadful nightmare in this city. Should you want to go down into England, taking a train should work pretty well, but if you don't want to, you can drive. Just fill her up once you're back." Sierra explains, trying to give me the essentials. I just nod along, trying to take in the city. Edinburgh is beautiful. But I barely have time to appreciate that when we arrive at her flat. It's on the third floor, room 21. She hands me a key, and opens the door. It's a lovely flat, with dark wood furnishings, a small living area with a television, and a kitchen with a small dining area that had a view over the street. The bedroom was a neat, modern room with a desk, balcony, and neat blue sheets. "It's lovely." I say, beaming at Sierra. She grins back. "Anything for my best mate. Well, I'll be off. I'm all packed and ready to go. Sorry I couldn't see you more." She hugs me tightly and leaves. I sigh and plop down onto the gray couch, exhausted. Checking my watch, I see that it's noon. Back at home, it would be 5 in the morning. Ugh. I brew some coffee and put my headphones in, drowning out my exhaustion with some Melanie Martinez. I know I should go out and explore the city, but I'm honestly so tired that I just end up checking in with my friends back home. They're all worried, but I reassure them that everything is fine and that I'm in Edinburgh, Scotland, safe and sound. And alone.
*******
A/N
Once again, it's pretty short, I know. But I'm trying to just get the first 5 chapters out and then longer chapters! Yay! :)