Honey, I'm home?

Jenny stood at the edge of the bed, her legs dangling off as she felt the cold make here skin crawl. The room was chilly for someone who was wearing nothing but a hospital gown. She found her clothes in a far away table, folded inside a plastic bag, and rushed to them, the sudden movement making her feel dizzy. As she went and got dressed she faced herself in a mirror. Perhaps those weren't the most appropriate clothes to where in times like these, but at least they matched how she felt: messy and confused.

Her face looked odd, more prominent bags under her eyes, possibly from the lack of sleep, and there was something else. She couldn't quite pin point it, perhaps it was finally getting impossible to fake the hollowness inside her body. She shook those feelings and hurried back to the bed, she tugged the sheets and she debated wether to sit down or stay standing. The sudden realization of the situation she was about to face seeming more real now and restlessness starting to set in. She knew he wouldn't take long, so she just decided to lean against the window on the opposite side of the door.

Meanwhile Damon arrived at the hospital. Indeed his name was expect at the front desk and he flashed a smile to the man, convincing him to carry on to said room without so much as a request for further identification.

As Jenny had anticipated not long after the nurse came in.

-Hun – the nurse said in a cautionary tone, looking at her with a glint of surprise to see her up and dressed – I know it's been a full day but there's someone who I think you'd really benefit from seeing...

-Okay. – that's all Jenny could say, afraid more words would make evident the stress that was slowly overwhelming her.

The nurse moved away from the door and gave a small smile to the tall figure behind her. She glanced to Jenny once more, and she gave a small nod of approval, allowing the nurse to go.

Damon looked at her, trying to not let the recognition of her show. She was rather familiar, he remembered seeing her a couple of times around town, a high school student maybe? He was confused but decided to stay and see where this was going.

The nurse shut the door behind her, leaving both of them immersed in a silent room.

-Hi. – she started, beating herself up for the informal tone but adopting a newly found confident stance. – I assume you find this situation odd and-

He cut her word.

-Yeah I don't usually make house calls.- He seemed so intimidating, an empty glare and a cocky grin caught on the right side of his lips. But Jenny wouldn't allow herself to feel intimidated, not right now, not when she had finally gotten the nerve to do what she should've done long ago.

-Nevertheless we both know you are one for odd situations, isn't that right Salvatore?

His face didn't falter.

-If we could hurry to the point it would be much appreciated, I am a busy man and have no time for childish games.

- Oh Damon, I know you don't play childish games. – she proceed, stepping towards him. – In fact the games you play are of a very different nature. See, I for one have never found it amusing inflicting pain on others, but you... Well, it is not only the base of your survival, the entire town is your playground.

He didn't speak. Damon had to admit he felt rather uncomfortable by the sudden proximity of the two of them, by the way she spoke and moved. It was like she knew everything, but she could just be bluffing, so the best was to let her go on, and hope she tripped on her own thoughts.

-I played your game, and you don't seem to remember me at all. Well, I guess after so many years I too would have trouble reminding faces. But dear, you visited me twice. I thought I was special you know... - a sarcastic heart-broken look plastered on her face.

It was going too far, it was best to stop this non-sense now, he thought.

-Look, I don't know who you think I am, but you must have me confused with someone else. They told me outside you were under a psych evaluation, I think there might be something wrong with you. – Damon took a small step back, trying to avoid crashing against the door.

Jenny got tired of playing cat and mouse, she also realized Matt would be back soon so she changed attitude quickly, now a bit more straight-forward.

- Don't make this personal, you and I both know what you are. I won't tell, it's none of my goddamn business but I can't forget, okay?

Damon was startled by the sudden change, but she was trailing off so fast he had no time to intervene.

- I tried forgetting, you told me to forget, but I really can't. It's all still here. I remember your eyes, your voice. There are flashes that come, visions and sensations. I remember your teeth, I remember the blood... - she couldn't go on any further without getting emotional, she wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing how afraid she was, how her nights were spent.

-Look – he tried.

-No, you look. You wrecked me, it's proven that you can't make a magic trick on me and make me not know what happened. So I just want you to let me out of here. I'm not 18, I can't sign my own release but you can, so that's all you have to do. Then we'll go our separate ways. I'll pretend I don't know you, who or what you are. You just have to sign my discharge.

The burst of information was too much and Damon tried to remain calm, but this was distressing. Assuming she was telling the truth, how could it not have worked on her? It worked everytime. He needed to call for help, but the way she had him cornered made it clear she wouldn't let him do anything but sign the papers.

While still facing her, his hand reached for the door knob.

-Fine, I'll do it. – She didn't backaway, so he called for a nurse through the door.

Only then did she move a few inches back. The nurse hurried in and he asked to sign the papers, she tried to dissuade him, but what could he do?

When the nurse went away, claiming he had to talk to a doctor at the front desk before discharging Jenny under his care, the girl finally left his side. The distance made him catch a breath he didn't know he was holding in.

-See? – he said. – I'll do it, but we are not done talking. You're coming with me.

- Fine.- she shrugged. – But don't you dare walk out that door and change your mind.

-I wouldn't dream of it. – he muttered as he walked outside the room. The truth was she was so cryptic, the whole situation felt so unreal. No matter how much he wanted to just leave her there she knew too much, too many details. It wasn't the case that someone might believe her, but rather the fact that the never-failing trick had failed on her. Twice.