New friends and no regrets

Jenny was pretty good at judging people, but now and then she saw someone, a guy or a girl walking across the street, and she knew they were different, they stood out. And the most primal part of her told her to run as fast as she could. But there was another part of her who wanted to get closer, talk to them, even though she wasn’t sure what she would say. That’s what happened with Damon, or Klaus, and sometimes Elena, but only sometimes. Ancient souls, that’s what they were, that’s what they felt like.

Jenny sat down in a bench by the park, trying to ease her mind. That’s when she started to write it down, the things that troubled her mind, the pen almost as if moving alone. “This is not a goodbye, this is not an apology or an explanation of why. This is just me trying to stay for a little longer. And I’ve heard that it’s easier if you tell someone how you feel, but I can’t talk. I can write, that’s what I do best. I scream, I hide in a corner, away from curious eyes. I feel these cold finger tips around my neck, the air running out of my lungs, and I’m not scared, not for a while, only when I realize it’s real. This time it will come again, at night, and I won’t be able to run away. Heart skips a beat.”

All of a sudden a voice woke her up from her numb state. Apparently the world had continued to move with or without her.

-It’s not like I’m gonna punch her or anything. I just wanna talk.- the voice was Caroline’s, again. She had a small entourage with her: Elena, Bonnie, a few cheerleaders, and a far two boys. As they got closer she recognized one of them, Matt, a boy who worked at “The Grill”.

Suddenly Jenny realized they were moving towards her, and she prayed they would just pass by and let her be ignored.

Caroline stopped in front of her, surrounded by the cheerleaders. She was sending Jenny  a defying look, like an “I’ll kill you” look, but not so aggressive. Jenny gathered all her strength and looked at her back, not blinking once.

-So… You and Tyler? – said Caroline.

-What do you mean “me and Tyler”?

-You know, you two are like together now or something? Not that I care or anything.

-Well, you seem to be a lot interested for someone who doesn’t care.-Jenny didn’t get up, analyzing Caroline’s face, maintaining hers as casual as she could.

Caroline hesitated. -Don’t dodge the question little J.

Something inside Jenny started to boil. In that moment she wanted to jump on top of Caroline and gouge her eyes out. But she forced herself to remain calm.

-We’re hanging out. Why?

-Nothing, you just look so close. –Caroline smirked, she was performing for her audience and things weren’t going as planned. She wanted to break Jenny in two, but Jenny didn’t seem the least bit bothered. - Too close for just friends…

-Okay.

Caroline leaned forward and whispered to Jenny’s ear: