Part Fifteen: Short-Term Pain

Frisk's POV:

"This is your fault!" I felt myself yell and stumble to my feet.

Sans looked shocked, but that didn't stop me. I could feel myself fuming, a fire within me lit as everything that Chara and I had gone through flooded back into my mind.

"If you had just killed her, anytime after she had become that--become that--become that demon, then she wouldn't have suffered! I wouldn't have suffered! This is all your fault! Our suffering is all your fault! Y-You're such a coward that you couldn't even let me say goodbye to her! You're so weak that you couldn't kill me yourself! Who could have known that the God of Death was such a-a child? And what do you have to say for yourself after all of this?!" I stepped towards him with each word, him stepping back, looking more and more hurt with each beginning and end of a sentence.

After I asked him the ending question all he could do was stand there, dumbfounded by the fact that me, a kind pacifist, could speak such venom.

"Nothing! You are a coward, Sans. And I don't feel sorry for you anymore. I don't lo--"

"Enough! Do not say that, Frisk. Do not finish that sentence." Toriel shot me a warning glare.

"And why not? Nothing could break him anymore. I don't love you anymore, Sans. I used to, but not anymore, not after seeing your true colors."

He held his chest as if someone had shot him there. As if he was physically hurt.

"Y-You love me?" Was all he could manage.

"Love? Sans, I used to love you. But not anymore."

He just stared at me for a few seconds. Everyone was silent. In fact, everything was silent, except for the flow of magma below us, gurgling with bubbles and sliding with slight movement.

"I-I love you too, Frisk." He stumbled forward to me, hugging me, and I could feel tears on my shoulder as he made contact.

Then I snapped out of it. The rage within me burnt out, his tears putting out the flame, and I realized the mistake I had made.

"I-I'm sorry, S-Sans. I-I--"

"I know." He whispered.

And the world went still again. It was just him and me. And despite both of us knowing the worst of each other, the fear that he had felt, the anger that I had felt, but this space felt empty. It felt peaceful in his arms. Like he could protect me forever. I felt an. . . An immortality with him. I felt like this was the man I would be with forever, a bond that I was blind to, binding us in the moment.

The Day Following:

Sans' POV:

I watched with an ache in my stomach as Frisk walked through the barrier, Toriel by her side. She did not look over her shoulder. Did not even make a move to look back. And I knew why. And I understood why.

Despite the growing pit in my stomach, I knew this was for the best, for both of us. Despite the love that we felt for each other, our paths were more separated than either of us could deny. And so instead of suffering, we decided that we'd save each other with only short-term pain; the pain of being rejected.

I-I wanted to run after her, but I knew that I couldn't, for multiple reasons. So instead I just hung my head, knowing that even if I did follow at this point, they would be in the realm of heaven. And here I was, stuck in hell.

"I KNOW IT HURTS, BROTHER," I could now only feel Papyrus' arm over my shoulders, bringing me in for a side hug, "BUT IT STOPS HURTING EVENTUALLY. I KNOW YOU'LL NEED YOUR SPACE, AND I WILL GIVE YOU THAT. JUST REMEMBER, WE HAVE JOBS, AND WE HAVE PURPOSES THAT WE NEED TO FULFIL. NO ONE LIKE US CAN TAKE LONG BREAKS. ESPECIALLY YOU, SANS."

Even as a brother, not as a boss, he still couldn't help himself with his work ethic.

"Yeah, I know, bro," I laughed a little bit to myself, "And don't worry. Maybe my job can help distract me."

"THAT'S THE SPIRIT, BROTHER."

A/N: Well, this is possibly one of the most depressing endings to one of these stories ever. It's just--It's just such a hopeless sounding ending. )-)

I'm not sure if I should do a sequel to this one? Would you all read the sequel, if I could come up with one?

Also, sorry if this wasn't the best ending. But I really couldn't see their relationship going any further, and Frisk did need to go back to the Demi God's realm, aka heaven, and I don't know, this kind of gives a view into how hopeless Sans sometimes feels.

Maybe a prequel would be better? I dunno, let me know what you think in the comments. If you want?

With all that aside, have a great time zone, and I will see you in the next book?

~ Anonymous Glitch