2 - Mad As Rabbits

I'd had enough. More than enough, if I was being completely honest. I desperately tried to push the pillow I had resting on my head down harshly against my ears in an attempt to block out the less than heart-felt music shaking my very bed. I hated parties. No, I hated social confrontations, and this definitely counted as one. I'd never understood the fun in rhythmically swinging from side to side to the latest renditions pumped from the stereo- at least not in the company of others. Alone, I suppose, was more acceptable. I simply didn't understand the concept, or why Bianca would waste an entire weekend on doing just that.

The shuffling of clumsy bodies was almost louder than the actual music downstairs, and I nearly cringed at the mere thought of how it must've looked. I close my eyes, growling angrily as I tossed the pillow away from me, nearly immediately regretting the movement. As I sat up to retrieve the object, I finally felt just how dry my throat had gone. I needed a drink, alright. Preferably one without alcohol.

   "Bianca." I called out, even then knowing just how useless the quiet plea was. As if she'd hear my meek voice all the way from upstairs.

Regrettably, I pushed off of the bed, standing up and unlocking my door with the intent to head downstairs to fetch myself something to quench my thirst.

As usual, I had an impeccable timing as a couple who could only be described as "glued together" tried to stumble into my room. I squealed, pushing them out and slamming the door with such a force anything hung on the walls shook with vibrations. I took a solid minute to compose myself before finally turning around and trying again. This time, I made it all the way to the fridge downstairs before bumping into someone. A cloud of curly, golden hair attacked me as I tumbled, falling into the conveniently placed chair stomach-first. A muffled "oof," escaped my lips unceremoniously as I landed. I didn't waste a second, however, as I pushed upwards and cast but a threatening glance at the person standing above me looking guilty. His face had gone beet-red, his freckles nearly disappearing as the blush reached his neck. I pushed past him, grabbing myself a coke bottle before trying to scamper out of the line of sight of the seemingly million people swarming my every turn.

A familiar face caught my eye, though, and I momentarily stopped to call for my sister, hoping to catch her attention.
   "Bianca!" I hollered. She heard me, turning to face my general direction and smiling when she saw me. She pushed through the crowd. I didn't miss the way her hand grasped a limb firmly that I was overly positive wasn't her own.

Who's hand was that?

I frowned, just wanting to confirm which time the damn party was coming to an end, not exactly being in dire need to be introduced to her new-found boyfriend.

As my sister approached, she asked over the blaring music, "Aw, Nico- what's got you all hot and bothered? Or should I ask who?" Immediately I shrunk five sizes, trying to escape the situation. I didn't appreciate jokes, much less ones situated around me. She grabbed me however, drawing the foulest of looks onto my face.
"No one," I groaned, clawing my way out of her grip. She smiled at me, a short-lived laugh escaping at my expense.
"Bianca- when's the party ending?" I asked, deciding to get right to the point.
She pouted, feigning a look of hurt as though she expected me to believe that she genuinely thought I'd come downstairs to socialize.

"Ten-ish." She replied with finally, having let the music really get to me this time. I took only a moment to glance down at my watch only to realize that it was only about nine, meaning I'd have to get through yet another hour or two of insufferable music. I threw my head bake dramatically, angry at myself for not going out when I had a chance.
   "Fine." I muttered, more to myself than anyone else. I tried to push through the lazy crowd again, but Bianca reached my arm before I escaped.

   "Lil' bro, why don't you hang out with us? We'll go to the kitchen and get something to drink." Before I had time to protest, she dragged me along with her, the blonde boy she tightly clung to not leaving my line of sight once. I followed obediently, my feet scuffing against the floor as we went. What I wouldn't do to simply lie down on the floor and close my eyes for a moment.

I muttered obscene words of doubt when we came to an abrupt stop. Bianca grabbed a whole packet of m, then headed towards the back door. Once the three of us were out, our backsides met the concrete step as we sat down. Bianca handed out our drinks in complete silence, giving me a fleeting moment to compose myself. Whilst I yearned for my room, I did appreciate my siblings company. She wasn't the worst sister one could've been granted with. Worry had started crawling it's way into my mind, however, that some idiot would barge through my door and ruin my room. I decided to dismiss it, though, knowing that it wasn't in my best interest to second guess every single little thing I did. It would literally only lead to more suffering.

"So... you go to the same school as Bianca?" The boy named Will asked me curiously.

"Yes." I replied with simply, feeling no need to elaborate to extend my answer.

"Oh. I haven't seen you around." He said. My sister laughed quietly beside me, drawing a short lived frown to my lips.
"Nico isn't exactly one to stand out much. He likes to, how did he put it again? Keep to the shadows." I stuck out my tongue at Bianca. This wasn't a new conversation of sorts, so it wasn't really an issue that she brought it up with a stranger I couldn't have cared less about. I was just about to reply with something witty to really try to break the ice, but I was cut off.

"Yeah, well- the real world's a scary place, Bianca." Will answered for me. His words were anything but sweet, yet his eyes crinkled up happily, his lips curled up jokingly, his hands fidgeting distractedly.

I hummed in agreement.

"You lived here long?" I finally asked after a solid minute of quiet, staring tentatively at Will. I wondered if this "Will" was going to be a problem. I didn't want anyone to hurt my sister. She protected me from the dark parts of the world and my mind, and I'd always be willing to return the favor. No one, especially not some curly haired elf, was going to put Bianca in a stressing situation.

"No. I moved here a couple months ago, about three, I think. I- I was a student in N.Y.C. My family had a few... money shortages and so we had to move. I barely had enough time to say goodbye to my friends. Personally, I'd love to move back there as fast as I can."

Will cleared his throat as I began, "Oh, cool. What were you studying? What did you do?" I waited patiently for Will to sort through his thoughts.

"Drama, mostly. I used to work backstage of Kinky Boots, if you know which show that is."

Immediately, Will had gained my interest. I loved New York City, I longed to go there. Better yet, I loved musicals. I wanted to be on Broadway, on a stage with a spotlight on me, and only me. I wanted to sing till my lungs caved in. Will might've been a little more interesting than I thought, then.

"Know it? I'm in love with it! I've watched it twice already, and I hope to go back in March and watch it again. Who knows, maybe we can bring you." Funny how only two minutes earlier I'd been voting to shoo him away and now I was suggesting to bring him to New York with me.

"We'll just have to wait and see, eh?" He answered me.

"I guess we will."

***

Here's me from the future, editing. I'm going to finish this damn fic. I'm determined to do so.

Yee

Tie xo