CHAPTER THIRTY:

Will picked a spot where there was lots of trees and was nice and cosy. Will had brought the picnic supplies, and he set out the red and white chequered blanket and set out all the food. Belle and Will talked for 1 hour and a half, nothing in particular, just things. Then after talking and eating they sat in silence. Belle looked up at Will and, at the same time, Will did the same things. Their eyes met and they both stared in them. Belle saw that Will’s had their usual warmth as per usual, but as she looked more deeper she saw a new found affection and love in them. She noticed that Will leaned a little bit closer and Belle did likewise. Then suddenly Will’s lips touched Belle’s and they were kissing. Will brushed Belle’s hair away from her face and put it behind her ear, then held his hand on her cheek and kept it there. They stayed like that for several seconds before something freezing went down Belle’s back. Belle tried to ignore it, but then felt another cold thing fall on her cheek. She opened her eyes and reluctantly pulled away. Then, within seconds, rain came down in a hurry. At first softly, then it turned to heavy rain that it was hardly bearable to open your eyes. Belle turned back to Will.

“We better go” She said. Will smiled at her.                                                               

“Why should we? Our curfew isn’t over yet, we still have another hour and a half” Then, as if Belle could read Will mind they both said in unison.

“Mud fight!” They both got up in a hurry. Belle raced over to the closest puddle that had already formed and dug her hands in it. When she lifted them back out her hands were holding a big chunk of mud. But, before Belle could turn around and find Will a big mass of mud flew right at her, wrecking her white singlet but Belle didn’t care. She laughed and searched frantically for Will. She soon found him and raced over. Will attempted to run away, but he slipped in a puddle. Belle nailed him to the ground, stomach facing down and put the mud down his back. Will yelled in horror and enjoyment and managed to scramble out of Belle’s grip. Belle fell on her back and desperately reached out for mud. She got grip on some and lifted her hand. Will had a massive heap of mud that took up both his arms to hold. Belle quickly stood up and smudged the mud in Wills face. As she did it, Will threw the mud on Belle, covering Belle from head to waist. Belle wiped the mud of her face as much as she could so she could see and breath them saw a massive puddle full of mud. Belle raced after Will and pushed him into the puddle covering him in mud. Belle collapsed in laughter and her stomach started hurting, she was laughing that much.

“I’m going to get you for that!” Will said in a playful but evil tone. Belle quickly got up and ran away with Will not far behind. Eventually they came to a clearing which turned out to be the fringe of the forest where the cottage stood. Belle raced after it, still laughing like crazy. Belle looked behind to see Will not even a metre behind her. She heard him laughing uncontrollably as well. Belle stopped and raised her hands in a surrender gesture.

“Ok, Ok! I surrender I’m defeated!” Will nodded and they both cracked up in laughter. They walked up the rest of the way toward the cottage still laughing. They climbed up the step of the veranda and opened it up. Halt and Horace were sitting in front of the fire. Horace had come to the cottage to see how the date went, but he was early so he had a coffee with Halt. They both looked up to see the muddy kids. Both Will and Belle went silent, then they couldn’t hold in their laughter any longer and cracked up laughing once again. Will collapsed laughing and Belle leaned on the wall to stop herself from collapsing, then thinking of Wills’ priceless facial expression of when she put the mud down his back accidently snorted. That made Belle and Will laugh even harder and Belle gave up and collapsed next to Will.

They both laughed for about 10 minutes before it became senseless of why they were still laughing. They both managed to calm down and stood back up. Halt looked at them both with an eyebrow up, his expression blank. Horace on the other hand couldn’t help but smile and giggle a bit of their bizarre laughing.

“What I the world did you two get up to?” Halt said after they both managed to stop laughing. They both were still smiling widely

“Isn’t it obvious?” Belle asked “Mud fight!” she said and Will and Belle started laughing at the memory of the fight. Halt shook his head in a defeated gesture

“I don’t understand what’s so funny” Halt said, saying this to Horace. Horace shook his head still smiling broadly.

“Have you ever had a mud fight Halt?” Horace asked. Halt shook his head.  “Well Halt there’s your answer, if you knew how fun and hilarious it is you would understand”

“I don’t have time for mud fights let alone fun” Halt said with a straight, sad face.

“Well maybe you should” Horace mumbled t himself so Halt was out of earshot. Then, Horace thought that being a ranger used a lot of seriousness and concentration that left him with no time to do anything else. We’ll have to think of something, Horace thought to himself.