She's Mature But So Tiny

I haven’t seen Lindsey for about a week, so when I realize I have Saturday off, I send a snapchat to Scott asking permission to steal her for a few hours. He agrees to it and says I can pick her up at the bakery anytime after nine. I begin to plan what our day could center around, but nothing comes to mind. Despite how close I’ve felt to her since Christian died, I really don’t know Lindsey that well. However, from what I’ve gathered, she hasn’t done a lot in her life, and it is my mission to change that.

Sometime on Friday though, I get a text from Bryan asking if I’m free to hang out Saturday. I don’t reply quite yet because I haven’t even thought of one thing for Lindsey and I to do. There’s barely any fun activities around here, and I don’t know how cool Scott would be with her traveling an hour or so away with me. I begin to brainstorm what we could do at my apartment, and I think that finding a recipe together, buying ingredients, and then making it would be fun, but I wonder if she feels like she’s around enough baking as it is. I might just leave it up to her.

Scott calls me just when I’m online placing an order online to pick up some dinner from the Italian place a few streets over. “Hello?” I answer.

“Hey, Mitch.”

“What’s up?”

“So, I completely forgot, but Lindsey has a birthday party on Saturday that she wants to go to.” He sounds flustered. I don’t think this single-parent life is treating him well. “It doesn’t start until three, so you can still hang out with her, but if you could maybe drop her off at her friend’s house around three, that would be great so I don’t have to leave work.”

I’m so glad he’s finally reaching out for help. “No problem.”

He sighs a breath of relief. “Thank you so much. Do you have a pen? I’ll give you the address now.”

I stand and say, “Hold on,” while grabbing a pen and an old piece of mail. “Go for it.”

“351 Georgia Drive. The mom’s name is Elizabeth and her daughter’s name is Kara. It’s a sleepover, so I’ll make sure Lindsey has everything packed and we can load it in your car.”

I scribble down the names Elizabeth and Kara, then ask, “Has she been over there before or should I go in and check things out?”

“To be honest, Christian took care of the playdates. I only have this information because of the invitation. Do what you see fit, I’ll ask Lindsey if she’s been there and have her tell you.”

“Okay, and Scott?”

“Mm?”

“Did you remember to get Kara a gift?”

He pauses, realizing what I’m talking about. “God, no, I didn’t. I’ll, uh, just give you some money tomorrow morning and you can take her?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Thank you so much, Mitch. See you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow.”

He’s finally letting me help. It’s as if he has finally noticed I’m available and willing to do pretty much anything for him. I don’t know how he didn’t notice before, but at least he has now, and I will take what I can get.

Besides this, as much as I love Lindsey, I now have a free Saturday night to hang out with Bryan. I text him free on Sat. starting at 4

Bryan: am or pm

Me: haha. what are we going to do

Bryan: im brain and then emojis of thunder and rain