[27]

melody

+

When I got home, Scott was worried. He had questions. "Where were you? Who were you with? Why are you bleeding? Are you okay? What did you see? Are you hurt? Did you see Stiles? Is Stiles okay? What happened?"

I didn't have the time to answer all his questions. I answered what I could. "Eichen House. Malia and Stiles. I had an episode. Yes. Nothing. No. Yes. No. I don't know."

Scott wanted more answers, but I didn't know what to tell him. We had no time for questions. The Nogitsune has Stiles. We can't waste the short time we have left. The time for waiting around for something to happen is over. Something did happen, and now Stiles is depending on us to save him.

We could not let the Nogitsune and destroy him. I wouldn't let it happen. I'm not letting Stiles get hurt. Not because I was too weak or too hurt to help him. I was going to find a way to help, and answering silly questions and wasting time wasn't worth it.

The black box I had brought with me from France lay under my bed. It's intricate engravings of wolves and flowers reminded me of my time in the foreign country. I sort of missed it. Not the school or the faux luxury or the people, but the experiences I shared with this box, and all that was inside it. I bought all ten of my combat knives thirty-four weeks before I can home.

I picked up one of the knives and placed on the floor next to me. There were two empty slots now: one where the knife I pulled out goes and one where the knife I broke goes.

The memory of the broken metal remained etched in my mind forever. The scar remained engraved into my skin for an eternity.

The old dry leaves crunched under my feet as I held the knife in my hand. The woman put her hands on her hips, "Tiens le couteau comme tu le veux, comme tu veux. Tenez-le en toute confiance. Vous avez le pouvoir dans ces couteaux. J'espère que vous réalisez les dommages que vous pouvez faire avec une arme comme ça. Il est celui qui peut détruire le chaos et le mal avec un seul coup."

"What does that mean?" I asked her, her French accent mixing with my English one.

"Hold the knife like you mean it, like you want to. Hold it with confidence. You hold power within these knives. I hope you realize the damage you can do with a weapon like that. It is one that can destroy chaos and evil with a single stroke," she said. Her American accent was perfect as if she had spent her entire life there. "I grew up hunting, and I grew up using crossbows and these very knives. Hunting was the way of my family, and learning it from Argent, it's the best damn thing that'll ever happen to you."

"Why are you helping me? I don't even know you."

"But I feel like I know you. Melody McCall sounds almost like I've said your name before. I'm doing you a favor, really. You'll thank me one day," the Argent said.

"I don't want to kill it."

"You'll kill over things. But you need practice with small things before you kill something bigger."

"I don't want to kill at all."

"Learning how to fight, how to wield a sword or knife, or how to throw good punches, it's amazing. You'll need it. Now pick up the sword, and kill it."

I lifted the combat knife and prepared to launch it towards the bunny.

"Breathe Melody, breathe," She told me. I did what she said and took a deep breath. I bent back my elbow and threw the weapon at the bunny. It missed its head by an inch and the critter ran off. I walked towards the knife which was buried in the soil and pulled it out.