>5<

We waited for new orders until nightfall. Samson returned to the room looking haggard with darkness growing under his pitch eyes. He called us to attention, which awoke some of the sleeping guardians. I'd warned them about falling asleep.

"It has been decided that the King will be staying for a few more days," he declared. "Princess Tabitha will be showing you all to your rooms."

I sighed in relief. The thought of marching back to the castle tonight made me feel nauseous.

As if on cue, the princess strolled into the room. She was still dressed in her revealing scarlet gown, her hair still haphazardly rolling off her narrow shoulders. Isaac elbowed me, and I rolled my eyes.

"Follow me, please, guardians," she said.

We trailed behind her down the dark corridor. Our only light came from candles mounted on the wall and the moonbeams peaking in through the occasional window. The Estate was as solemn as the city it represented. I fell towards the back of the group, assuming I would be assigned a room last anyway. It gave me more time to study the paintings and expensive drapery on the walls.

Our group slowly began splitting off into couples while the princess assigned men rooms. Isaac blew me a kiss as she gestured to their temporary place of residence. Now I was the only one left. We looked at each other and I got that panicky feeling that she would try to trap me into a conversation. Just when she opened her mouth to speak, she was interrupted.

"Ah, what a pleasant surprise," purred a now-familiar sandy haired prince. Philip flashed us both a charming beam. "Tabitha, my love. Are you and Apphia having late night chats now?"

"I'm showing her to her room," she answered rather coldly. "Shouldn't you have more important matters to be attending to?"

His brows furrowed in disapproval. "Aside from finding you, my dear? Do you forget that we are wed and are expected to produce an heir for your family?"

My cheeks warmed. I was confident this was not a conversation for my ears. Clearing my throat, I said, "Your Highness, if you would just point me in the right direction, I can find my room."

"Nonsense!" Philip cheered with another smile. "Tabitha can go prepare for bed and I will walk you to your room."

That did not sound like a good idea to me.

"Philip, please—" his wife protested.

"Go now, darling. I will be at your side soon." Though he was speaking to his wife, his eyes were boring into me.

The princess nodded reluctantly before her gaze met mine, pity flashing through her eyes. "Goodnight, guardian.

"Goodnight, Your Highness," I replied with a bow.

Once she had rounded the nearest corner of the corridor, I knew I had no option but to face the royal pest staring so unashamedly at me. I took a deep breath and looked up into his eyes.

"Shall we go?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Excellent." His long legs started down the hall, so I moved to keep up one pace behind him. After a moment, he glanced over his shoulder at me. "You may walk beside me, Apphia."

"I am required to walk behind royalty at all times," I countered. "It makes protecting you easier."

"I don't see any threats here. Come, walk beside me."

Though I wanted to refuse, Samson's warning rang in my head. I clenched my jaw and hastened my pace to catch up with Philip. He was staring down at me again. We walked until we came to the end of the hall, which ended at a double set of doors that presumably led outside.