>8<

After several more hours, the tournament came to an end. I won the archery division but nothing else. That fact stayed with me until dinner. Isaac must have realized I was sour about the whole ordeal, so he avoided the subject. Instead, he pestered me about some rumors spreading about leaving the Estate tonight.

"Don't you want to go?" he pressed when my flat expression didn't impress him.

"No. It's just a rumor, anyway. Why would the king let us leave the Estate?"

A disappointed scowl flattened his face. Both of us looked up at the sound of the drawing room door opening. Seth entered with Samson on his heels, each bearing an unpleasant expression.

"Finish your dinner immediately," Samson ordered. "Our presence has been requested by the king."

Every guardian was on their feet in the next second. We were always to assume an urgent meeting indicated an emergency. The sounds of our boots on the wood floors bounced off the walls as we proceeded towards the king's wing in a double line at a brisk pace.

Once we reached a set of large, black doors, we halted and only Samson and Seth continued into the room. The door closed behind them and didn't open again for several minutes. I was growing impatient. If it was so immediate, why were we waiting outside? Seth opened the door and invited us inside.

Isaac nudged me, to which I responded with a shrug. We were towards the middle of the line as we stepped into the room and lined up against the wall. This space appeared to be used for large gatherings, perhaps a session court of some sort. There was a podium at the head of the room that faced the orderly array of desks and chairs.

King Zacharias sat behind one of the desks. He slid a pair of glasses off his nose while inspecting us. In all the years I had spent as his guard, I never realized he wore glasses. He cleared his throat before rising from his seat.

"Guardians," he greeted calmly. "Do you know why you are here?"

We all remained quiet.

"I suspect Samson has given me the privilege of informing you," he said, confirming this suspicion with his wingman, who nodded. His hands came together in a loud clap. "Excellent. Well, under the recommendation of my cousin, Tabitha, you all are getting the night off. The local Estate guards are doubling up on security rounds to ensure my safety."

Isaac elbowed me again. I could tell he was grinning from the corner of my eye.

"You will be guided to the city by an Estate guard. You are expected to return at the hour and condition at which you will be able to assume your duties again in the morning," the king continued. "Aside from that, you will be free to roam Wainsworth for however long you desire. Your only rule is to keep your identities confidential."

Admittedly, I was just as surprised as my fellow guardians. We were never simply given nights off to enjoy ourselves. Most of us had given up simple pleasures long ago when first joining the Guardians.

"You are all now released."

No one wasted time exiting the room. We weren't about to ask questions. I was just about to slip out behind Isaac when the king called my name. My feet stilled before my brain had even processed the situation. Now realizing my fate, I slowly turned to acknowledge the voice. The rest of the guardians fled the room, Samson included.

King Zacharias moved out from behind his desk and rested the back of his legs against it, crossing his burly arms. I stood at attention while constantly glancing between his eyes and the floor.

"Your Highness?" I asked when the silence lingered.

"Apphia," he replied, "I would prefer if you would not leave the Estate tonight."