>19<

Sweat dripped off my brows and freckled the dusty pavement in tiny black droplets. I lifted the bottom of my tank to rub off the wet sheen, even while knowing it would be replaced within seconds by another. Six months I had been sparring outdoors, away from the comforts of the Castle I had put behind me, yet my body still struggled to adjust to the blazing heat of summer. My sparring partner threw another uppercut, but I twisted my head to the side before delivering a punch to his side. He gasped and stumbled backwards. Just like the others Jerry had sent to test me, to push me to my limits, this partner was surprised by my agility and strength. It even surprised me sometimes.

"Looks like you'll be ready for tonight," Jerry remarked from behind me.

When I turned to face him, he was leaning against the threshold of the bar's backdoor. He seemed grateful to be in the shade. As I lifted a hand to wipe off the sweat again, I heard my partner's feet and knew he was moving to strike. I darted to the right while spinning around, ducking to avoid any unexpected blows. He stumbled again and shot me an annoyed look, to which I glared back.

"Can't fool this one." Jerry belted out a throaty chuckle. "You're relieved for the day, Ryan. Let's give Little Lady here some rest before the fight tonight."

Ryan sauntered passed him, back into the bar. I smirked at his retreat before turning my attention back to Jerry. His eyes were twinkling with pride.

"How are ya feeling?" he asked.

"Fine," I replied with a shrug. "Shoulder's a bit stiff from the fight last night, but I'll do my exercises before I get in the ring."

"Excellent. Did I already tell you who you're goin' up against tonight?"

Rolling my eyes, I walked closer to him to join the shade. "Only every day for the last week."

"Well, maybe I ought to remind you," he said in his serious voice. "Baxley is a big guy. Bigger than any of the others you've met. Stupid, too, but he can throw a mean punch that I've seen shatter men's ribs."

"I go into the ring expecting to meet my strongest, fastest, meanest opponent every time, Jerry. You know this." I wiped my face again and wet my lips with a dry tongue. "Do we have any water left?"

"'Course. Come on in," he said while guiding me into the bar. "I know how you think, Apphia, and I just want to make sure you ain't getting arrogant on me."

"Never." I flashed him a grin and took the glass of water he'd poured.

After trying to nap in my room above the bar for a few hours, the sun had set and the street outside became noisy with voices and horse traffic. I rose from the bed with a sigh and moved to the small dressed to pull on my latex fighting outfit. Jerry decided to pay for a real uniform since we had been winning so many fights and pulling in more profit than he'd ever seen. And he had been worried I was getting arrogant.

Jerry was standing behind the bar when I walked down the stairs. A few customers were already settled on barstools and hadn't noticed my quiet appearance. I waited long enough by the foot of the stairs for Jerry to notice me, and he quickly cut off his conversation with one of the regulars. He hurried out from behind the bar to take my shoulders into his hands and squeeze them.

"Ryan's going to walk you to the fight," he told me. "You've got this, Little Lady. I wish I could be there, but I know the magic has nothing to do with me. Remember, keep your humility and your head will stay screwed on straight."

"Will do," I said. "Hold down the fort here so I still have a place to stay tonight."

"You keep paying the bills, and you won't have to live here much longer."