>11<

Though the door closed behind Philip, I could hear the deep timbre of Zacharias' voice. My body froze. Of course, fate would have it that the king would be passing by as Philip, that demon, was leaving my room. I pressed my hand to my mouth.

Their voices hushed. I took a deep breath through my nose and slowly ambled towards the bed. If Zacharias already knew I had left the Estate against his wishes, this whole Philip ordeal would only add to his wrath. Seeing as how he still hadn't knocked on my door, he would probably save my scolding for the morning.

I stretched out in the large bed with my eyes closed. Exhaustion pulled at my weak body, but my mind was reeling with guilt. It wasn't my fault Philip had snuck into my room and essentially blackmailed me into a treacherous bargain.

That deal. I groaned. There was too much to think about. My brain was overwhelmed with all the decisions I had to make. How did Zacharias do it? How could he handle the responsibilities of being king? I couldn't even handle my own issues, much less everyone else's in the whole kingdom.

Sleep came in restless bouts throughout the night. I tossed and turned more than I had in a long time. By dawn, I was out of bed and dressing into my uniform. A knock on my door drew me out of the bathroom and across the room.

"Morning," Isaac greeted, his effort for enthusiasm failing considerably.

"Good morning," I replied guardedly. He crossed too many lines last night for me to feel any inclination to converse with him.

"So...how are you this morning?"

His menial question annoyed me. We never bothered with formalities.

I ignored his question. "Are we leaving? Has Samson given the pack up order?"

"Well, breakfast is being served in minute, yes."

"Great."

He blocked my path with his arm when I attempted to slip out of my room by going around him. My eyes flickered up to his, finding them brewing in frustration.

"Now, hold on," he said. "Can't you spare a friend a moment to chat?"

"I'm not in the mood this morning, Isaac." I ducked under his arm and started down the hall.

"Look, I don't remember what it was I said last night, but I know I wasn't the nicest person to you."

"I just recommend you stay away from the liquor." My tone sounded cross, though I earnestly tried to be passive.

"Apphia, please."

We rounded the corner of another corridor, Isaac right on my heels.

"I just want to talk," he insisted.

"There is nothing to say. We are leaving this here," I told him.

Before he could utter another word, we reached the sitting room. Nearly all of the guardians were already in the room, so Samson didn't seem to notice when we slipped in. I weaved around the others until I found the table of food and piled the links of sausage and chunks of scrambled eggs onto a plate. Meanwhile, Isaac had become mute.

As I took a seat in a chair wedged between two already occupied couches, the door swung open. Zacharias stood in the doorway, looking impressively powerful. The way his black cape hung off his shoulders gave him an air of superiority, of distinct nobility. Conversation quieted, and we all bowed our heads to him in respect. I struggled to look at his face in fear of meeting his eyes.

"As you all may know," he declared, "we will be leaving in fifteen minutes. Finish your meals and meet me behind the castle."

I lifted my head to watch him leave, but it was a mistake. Our gazes locked. His jaw was set, eyes blazing. The breath in my lungs slipped out and left me winded. I knew he was furious about something, and I had given him many reasons of my own.