My History

Itachi sat at the stone table astounded. He had listened to the whole lecture through the meeting, not missing a beat. But still, he was shocked by how far the Uchiha clan had fallen. "To seal the deal, they need our youngest, male child.." The elder held his audience in terrified attention. A mutual look of horror passed over many faces. "But that's Itachi!" someone cried. We can't give them him! He's the future of this clan!" another continued. Itachi's head swam. Was he really the youngest boy in his family? Shusui put a hand on his shoulder and met his eyes gravely. Itachi's father stood. "There is another boy, younger than Itachi.." The occupants of the room sat in suspense "His little brother.." his father paused and sighed deeply. "Sasuke Uchiha.." A woman somewhere in the back argued with him. "That boy's too young! And he's so earnest.. Does he really deserve to be traded like a piece of livestock?!" "It's him or Itachi.." His father's words silenced any dissent. The elder spoke as his father sat down. "So, it is decided. We will give the Akatsuki Sasuke." Itachi had listened in stunned silence, but the elder's words broke his paralyzing shock. "I'll go! Give them me.." His father slammed his fists onto the table. "No! You will not. You are the future of this family, we have too much riding on you! We can afford to lose Sasuke." His stomach twisted, 'We can afford to lose Sasuke.' Was his brother's life really that meaningless to them? Glaring at his father, he sank back into the chair, too upset to try to think of what to do next. Later, Shusui caught him as he walked along roadside. He turned to see the familiar face in the agonizingly bright sunlight of midday. It occurred to him how ironic the weather was. "Itachi.." Shusui began. "There are two weeks before they have to hand him over. You have time to say good bye." Itachi glared at him. "I'm not saying goodbye." Shusui gaped at him before brushing off his defiance. "You have no choice. There's nothing you can do to stop them, no matter how wrong it is. Make the best of the time you have left." Itachi pulled away from the comfort of Shusui's hand on his shoulder. "I'm disappointed in you. You don't know me if you think I'd give up so easily." With that Itachi strode away, leaving Shusui stunned at what he couldn't decide was foolishness or bravery.

Aster tossed and turned, desperately trying to sleep. Why can't I forget a little longer?! Unbidden, memories of her brothers had come in her dreams. She didn't know what to do anymore. Aster flopped onto her back, trying to force sleep. She had no idea how to calm the nervous sickness spreading through her chest and stomach. Trying to take her mind off of it, she recalled the day. She was disgusted with what she had said to Itachi. But he had still not retracted the promise to train her. The thought gave her comfort. That was it. She resolved for not the first time, that she would kill Kisame Hoshigaki. The decision settled her chaotic mind. With her grim resolution now made, she slipped into a deep slumber.

Itachi knocked on her door. It was the crack of dawn, but she had wanted to train. He wasn't sympathetic to the thought that she might be getting more than she bargained for. He was growing impatient. He had now knocked loudly, several times, all with no answer. There was nothing to help it, he would have to go in and wake her up. He hesitated when reaching for the door handle. He could already hear her yelling at him, calling him a pervert for coming into her room. It was too early for that, much too early. Despite his better judgment, he opened the door.

She didn't even stir as he walked in. Quietly, he shut the door with a soft click. She seemed different somehow. He couldn't put his finger on it as he watched her sleep, but he knew it. Finally, after waiting in vain for a few minutes for her to wake, he shook her shoulder gently. She groaned and rolled onto her back. He waited for her to yell or hit at him.

"What?" came the sleepy question. Itachi's eyes widened. This wasn't the reaction he had expected.

Recollecting his nerves quickly, he replied, "It's time to train. You need to get up now."