Deals/Trades

Itachi prepared himself as she rounded the corner. His eyes feigned preoccupancy with Sasuke's limp form, barely standing before him. Aster stood, paralyzed, her mind refusing to comprehend what she saw. He could hear her heavy, fearful breathing as he examined Sasuke's glazed stare; any second now, the boy would collapse. It was all he could do to hide the pain. He didn't want to do this anymore than she wanted to believe it was happening. "I-itachi.. Please, tell me this isn't.." The words were caught in her throat. He raised his gaze to her frightened eyes. "Yes," he cut in, doing his best to act the part he knew he should play. Please, just leave... But it was obvious she wouldn't. "N-no.." she stammered, taking a hesitant step forward. "I killed them.." the words hung in the air horribly as he watched tears well up in her eyes. "All of them." Aster sucked in a shaky breath, summoning what courage she could. "I-I don't believe you..!" she told him, glancing at Sasuke. Sasuke was awake, but unaware of what was happening. It hurt too much; his young mind blocked it all out. Aster reached out to pull him to her side, to try to comfort him, or was it herself? Instead he collapsed to his knees, before falling face first in the dirt and dried blood all around. Aster gasped, "Sasuke!" She kneeled beside him. "Itachi, please! Help me! What's wrong with him?!" A knot clenched in Itachi's chest, her denial was painful. Forcing his resolve, he unsheathed his sword, brining the cold metal to her throat. "Go. Now. Unless you want to die." Aster met his gaze sharply, "No! I'm not going anywhere! I don't believe you!" Her words cut through him, causing a stabbing sensation that was almost physical pain. He pushed the blade's tip gently against her chin, drawing her to her feet. "Why? Why don't you believe me?" He held her eyes with an intense gaze, which, to his surprise, she returned. "You're not that kind of person. I know you too well! You can't tell me that everyday has been a lie!" Aster yelled, not caring about the sword aimed at her. "I can... And I am," he replied coldly. "What makes you think you really know me?" She gave him a horrible pleading look. "No... I don't believe you!" He pressed the sharp side of the metal against her skin, threatening to slit her throat. "I told you, leave or die." He was sure his threat would be enough to ward her off. Aster's eyes widened as she made a terrible realization. "Y-you're going to leave the village. I won't see you again..." For a second, they both shared a mutual pain. Itachi's face went slack as he realized that he may have just given himself away. Regathering himself he threatened her again, not sure how far he was willing to take it. "Leave or die." A look of utter horror refused to leave her face. "You're leaving.." Resignedly, he answered. "Yes, I won't be coming back here. And neither will you if you don't go." Suddenly she stood straighter. "I..I.." she mumbled, "I love ...you.." Dammit! This wasn't what was supposed to happen. "I will kill you," he said, raising his voice slightly. "I don't care." She looked him in the eye. "If you truly don't care for me... I have nothing. No family, no friends... Just you. I have no purpose, no reason to live." She took a step forward to the blade. "Kill me." She pressed her skin against the smooth, lethal surface. It would have been over if he hadn't jerked the sword back. His hand was shaking. This wasn't what he had expected from her. This wasn't supposed to happen. She shouldn't love him, after this, he didn't deserve it. But here they were. Aster gaped at him. "I knew it! You lied to me!" Itachi tightened his grip on the sword. "I want to kill you myself, not let you commit suicide." He was still holding the weapon's tip towards her, but no longer against her skin. "Then do it! You either kill me, or I know you lied..." she was suddenly menacing to him. They stared each other down for what felt like eternity. Then abruptly, she flung herself towards the blade, hoping to drive it through her heart. He twisted it back, narrowly saving her. They stood, less than a yard separating them. The sword's tip scuffing the dirt as adrenaline coursed through them. "Don't go..." her lips trembled. He backed away slowly. The distant sounds of footsteps came to him, he had to leave. He glared at her, still trying to uphold an empty façade. "Don't follow me." Itachi turned his back on her, jogging towards a wall he could easily scale. The group of jonin rounded a corner; they were in sight now, Kakashi leading the group. "Don't leave like this!" her voice came out hoarse, but he was already out of earshot. Aster stumbled at first before breaking into a run after him. He was already gone into the shadows, but maybe if she ran fast enough she could catch him. Hands clutched her wrists, restraining her. "Let me go! Let me GO!" Fingers moved nimbly over the skin on her neck as she turned to see her capture. A glimpse of his black mask and sliver hair was all she caught before he pressed the pressure point roughly. It isn't working; she should be out by now. "Let GO of ME!" she cried, struggling against him. He hit the pressure point harder. Still, she refused to be taken down. With a rough chop to artery the point used, he finally silenced her. Aster fell limp as he gathered her up to be taken to the hospital. Kakashi carried her gently. He knew how traumatic her own life had been thus far. This wasn't something she needed. He was sympathetic for her, seeing a single tear streak down her face. Her body was light and thin, he imagined her could easily crush her; but he knew she was strong.