Chapter 10

"Leiblings?" Granny called out, her eyes scanning the ground of Puck's room as she made her way towards the trampoline. "Oh, leiblings! There you are! And oh!" My eyes fluttered open and I watched as she threw her hands over her face and started giggling. I nudged Puck slightly, still in his arms, to make sure he was seeing what I was seeing.  "Oh Puck! Oh, honey, I'm so glad it all went well, you-" she stopped suddenly and her face fell slowly as Puck tenses up. I turned to him and saw him waving to her to abort and then quickly threw his hand down and smiled did a sort of half smile half cringe down at me.
"Okay so," he started, sliding his arm out from around me, "I'm going to be off now. I've got things, um, that need, uh, doing. Yes, I have a need to be doing things. You guys have fun, bye!"
He popped up into the air and zipped off leaving me alone with Granny Relda who now had her gaze nailed to the floor. "What is going on? He came into my room earlier and was acting super weird, and now he's doing that. What am I missing?"
"Oh, I'm sorry Sabrina, it's not my place to tell you. You'll know when he's ready." I rolled my eyes and my shoulders fell, "oh yea? And when's that gonna be? I'm not the most patient person Granny."
She smiled softly and put her hand on my shoulder. "It shouldn't be long, but it will be worth the wait."
"Now," she said, clapping her hands together, "since you're not sick you can get started on the homework Daphne picked up for you, yes?"
I sighed, "yep."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't see Puck again until the next morning, he had effectively disappeared all throughout dinner somehow and didn't even pop up in the hallway as I went back to my room to go bed. I decided not to bring it up during breakfast but we both ate quietly as Daphne and Red chatted away.
"Oh, I'm so glad you're back! I know it was only a month or so but you missed the start of school and I was ready for you to be back the second you left." She rambled, Red had a permanent smile plastered on her face and it warmed my heart. She'd been having trouble feeling accepted when she first moved in but since she's back from rehab, and the parents had taken a sort of honeymoon to New York with Basil, she's been getting a lot more love.
"We really are glad to have you bac, Red," I said with a soft small and her eyes lit up. I had never really taken to ever afters in my earlier years but I like to think I've gotten better lately. My dad's reactions to everything we went through really put it in perspective.
Breakfast could have been really nice if not for Puck sulking across the table. He stood up abruptly and cut off Daphne's incessant rambling. "I have some things to do Old Lady, I'll fly myself to school later." Then he slid his chair in and Red's eyes went wide. The whole show left even Granny speechless and she stammered some affirmative response. He caught my eye for barely half a second before turning on his heel and disappearing upstairs.
I scoffed and shook my head, finishing my food and heading to my room to get dressed and ready for school.
Daphne, Red, and I walked to school soon after and they both chatted away. I couldn't even be annoyed with the lack of silence, Red hadn't talked this much in all the time I'd known her. She'd really gotten better and I was happy for her. The sarcastic, annoyed looks I usually shared with Puck on these walks was missed though, that feeling was not lost on me. I couldn't believe it when I realized it but I figured it could be worse, I could actually miss him.
I picked up my pace when the school came into view and left Daphne to show Red around. I watched them with a smile as Daphne pointed out different things excitedly. Pulling my hair up into a ponytail I made my way to my locker, picked up my books, and then walked to first period. I sat in my usual spot, the seat next to me empty, and watched the door expectedly. I don't know who I was waiting for but they never came and I gave up when the bell rang the second time.

Halfway through class Puck walked in, handed the teacher a pass, and looked around for a seat. His eyes stopped at his usual spot next to me for a second and then did another lap around the room. Finally, he walked over and sat down tentatively next to me. I gave him a smile and then continued working. He was obviously upset by Granny's comment, so I left it alone.

He didn't talk to me. Not even to ask for my answers. When the bell rang he practically ran out into the hallway. I watched him leave, shaking my head. I didn't get it.

Lunch was normal. My friends teased me about Puck, talked about other cute guys, even asked me about my sister's friend. At the end of the day, I waited for Puck and Daphne for a second before deciding it wasn't worth it. Daphne and Red were checking out some clubs, I remembered, and I wasn't in the mood to walk with Puck if he was gonna be silent the whole time. There was a bit of a breeze and I had a sweater but I didn't really feel like getting it out of my bag right now. I rubbed my arms and sped up my pace; I wanted to be home already. 

"Chilly isn't it?" I yelped, the surprise sending me a good half inch off of the ground. I whipped around to find Puck of all people standing there with a smirk on his face. I took a deep breath and turned back around to continue walking. "Oh come on Brina, what's your damage?" 

"What's my damage? Seriously? You've been in a sucky mood since yesterday, ignored me all day, and you're asking me what my damage is." I responded, rolling my eyes.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I wanted to do something and I screwed it up and it took me a minute to get over that." 

"I'll say." He chuckled at that, but I wasn't having it. "So do it then." 

"What?"

"Say what you want to say, do it. There's no one to screw it up right now, is there?" 

"I can't"

"Then there's really no point in apologizing is there? You don't tell me, you get all weird again, it's a whole cycle." I turned away again, determined to get home. Before I could take a step I felt his hand on my arm. "What, Puck? What do you want?" 

"I love you."

Vote and Comment, I always appreciate feedback.