Chapter 11

"I love you"

I thought it was a joke. I thought he was pulling some cruel trick on me, but it didn't feel like it. I studied his face for a while and watched his eyes go between relief, worry, interest, and back again. His lip quivered every time I moved, his breathing synced with mine. Finally, I came to my conclusion. "You're not kidding."

He took a deep, shaky breath and said, "No, I'm not."

"That's what you needed to say so bad?" I asked, my eyebrows raised.

His eyes focused on his feet as he spoke, "I mean, yea. It wasn't easy. The old lady kept pressuring me to tell you and the longer I held off the more anxious I got so I was about to give up, but you basically forced me to say it and-" He looked up and looked at me. I had gotten fairly close as he had rambled. He gulped, "You're really close."

"Yes I am, is that an issue?"

He shook his head fervently and his eyes flickered between my lips and my eyes.

I smirked, almost laughing at how concerned he was. "Oh for Christ's sake," and I kissed him.

It took me back to the first time we had kissed. It had been flipped then. I told him the family loved him and he thought I was in love with him. Funny thing was I wasn't, until that moment.

The kiss was deep, hungry. Even I could tell he'd been waiting a while to do this. I finally broke it, resting my forehead against his and taking a deep breath. Our eyes met and we chuckled; he tucked my hair behind my ear and we stood for a second, taking each other in.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEK GRANNNYYYYYY!" Our eyes went wide and we flung around just in time to see Daphne sprinting down the path. Red sort of grimaced.

I got ready to run, but Puck's grip on my arm held me back. "You really think you can catch her right now, Brina?"I sighed and he slipped his hand into mine, beckoning to Red with the other. "Let's go home."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey... granny..." I said hesitantly as we walked in.
"Well hello Leiblings, how was school?" She had a knowing grin on her face and Daphne was peeking out from the dining room, her hand over her mouth to stifle her giggles.
Puck looked at me, then turned to Granny. "I had a pretty great time, myself, though I can't speak for Brina or Red."
"My day was fine." Red chirped, her hand half raised.
"That's good! Good for you Red." Granny said, smirking at me.
"Well I've got to go do homework so I'm just gonna...." I trailed off as Granny's gaze fell to our hands. "Go..." I gulped And slipped my hand out of his. "Upstairs"
I've never run away as fast as I did then, not from giants, not from dragons, not even from the jabberwocky.
I sat down on my bed and just stared into the mirror on the opposite wall. My eyes grazed over the girl staring back at me, her eyes looked unsettled but content. My attention shifted to the mural behind me and I smiled.
I heard a knock on my door and I didn't care who it was. I wanted a moment to be alone. I dashed over to the window, slipped out and climbed up the sill to the roof.
It was chilly. The breeze was cool and I wished I'd worn a thicker sweater. The trees behind the house looked so far away now. They went on for so long, I could see the clearing way off to the right where Puck's little pond and throne of garbage was.
"No one would've guessed you'd be up here."
"I know, that's why I chose it."
"You scared the old lady pretty bad, ya know."
"Sorry."
He settled in next to me, taking my hand in his.
"You see that patch off the light green trees on the hill over there?"
I followed his eyes and found a patch of newer, smaller trees.
"That's where I saved you and the marshmallow from jack, remember?"
I chuckled, resting my head on his shoulder.
"That's not exactly how I remember it."
"Hey" he said. I raised my head and met his eyes. He leaned in and out his lips on mine. I kissed back, bring my hands up to his hair, his hand on the small of my back.
I broke it. "You know," I started with a smirk. "If they catch us like this too much they're not gonna leave us along anymore."
"What a shame." He whispered, leaning in again.
"Yeah." I breathed out. My heart was beating three times it's normal pace and my breath shuddered as he brought me closer.
"Wait so does that mean you wanna go back? Or..."
"Oh shut up fairy boy." I said and kissed him again.

It's a bit shorter than the others, and I know it took a while, my most sincere apologies. Vote, comment, share, I always appreciate feedback.