Chapter 1

5:09

This number emits the only source of light within my cramped room. Another restless night is added to my achievements. Carefully, I swing my legs off the side of my bed, dreading what could happen if the bed dared to creak to loudly. Groggily I dodge the towers of boxes which crowd my room, entering the small bathroom linking my room with theirs. Subconsciously my feet make their way towards the little sink perched against the back wall, I reach out for my toothbrush, and slowly pluck it from the small cup; delicately sliding it out to avoid the two others sandwiching my brush. Gently my other hand reaches for the tap, turning it ever so slightly to provoke a weak, but steady, stream of water. After applying the toothpaste to the bristles of the brush I begin to brush my teeth, meanwhile with my opposite hand I drag a hairbrush through my knotted bed hair.

In the wide mirror in front of me, I examine myself.

Blue green hazel eyes stare back at me – the odd colour beginning brown at the start of my iris, developing into a vivid green, then completed by a surrounding river of turquoise. What seems to be an eternity of everlasting eyelashes accompany my strange eyes, topped off with thick but perfectly curved pair of natural eyebrows. My usually warm rosy skin tone has sunk shades lighter due to my isolation from the outside world this week. A small refined nose awaits central of my face, underneath sits my plump taupe lips. Completed by dark copper hair cascading down my back and around my heart shaped face, pirouetting as it falls.

Unfortunately, I was blessed with such looks.

Somehow – no matter how hard I try – I always gain attention, from jealous girls to egotistic boys. I blame my features.

Earning my peculiar and vibrant eye colour from my mother as well as by facial shape, but other than that, I'm exactly like my father. And I detest that.

Returning to reality I reunite my toothbrush with the others, my hair eventually detangled after my continuous effort to force my brush through it. Exiting the bijou bathroom, I maneuverer around the boxes aiming for the desk. In no time, I arrive at my destination plonking down onto the old tatty chair and begin to search through the piles of paper. Eventually I find the assignment needed for today and begin to complete it.