38

I came home from the dot and Zoe seemed to be okay in the end. I ended up paying for two rounds of coffee and a muffin to make her feel better but I didn't mind.

School was almost over and then she'd have to face a whole summer with her mum who I learnt, since she got fired from the cast of West Drive,  she has never really been close with

School was almost over and then she'd have to face a whole summer with her mum who I learnt, since she got fired from the cast of West Drive,  she has never really been close with. That I could relate to- not the acting part, the lack of mother daughter bonding.

I threw my bag down on the bed that was ready made by Emily.
She was downstairs cleaning my dads study.
"It's such a shame he lost his job, I really feel for him." Emily sighs wiping down a picture frame she was looking at it almost adoringly.
She hands it to me and I really wanted to smile. It was of my father shaking hands with his boss. It was an impressive day, I remember being about 13 when it was taken.

"Yes, it was a very impressive accomplishment I suppose. It's what's under the suit and the gelled hair that the picture doesn't capture though."  I sigh looking at his smile. Apparently there are over 19 different smiles and I knew that one wasn't genuine.

"I can see it. I notice the stress lines on his forehead, and the tenseness of his hand by his side see here." She points out to my father's fist. I raise my eyebrow. Maybe she had been more then just cleaning these pictures.

I hear the front door click shut and I go to the hallway.
Dads walking in with two brown bags of shopping.

"Dad! We only bought food the other day." I shook my head, why was he going overboard again?
"I know. But this is ingredients for spaghetti. You are going to show me how to cook it." He instructed. He had clearly got one of his ideas stuck  in his head.

"Okay? Sure but what's brought this on?" I asked laughing. It could have been a bit more over the top so I thanked myself it was just cooking this time.

"Can't a father want to spend time with his daughter?" He replies pretending to feel offended before walking into the kitchen.

"Yes but we have all the time in the world to do things like this in the summer break, why now?" I questioned. It was a school night, maybe the guy was just craving spaghetti?

"Fine, you got me. My therapist says learning new skills may help me feel better and more motivated about my capabilities to do stuff which could result in me feeling in a better mindset for going to...say interviews for jobs." He grins at me. My smile broadened.

"Now I like his way of thinking." I nodded wholeheartedly agreeing.

"I told you he was good." Emily smiles leaning against the doorway.
"Let me know when your done and I'll clear away the mess." She smiles nodding towards my father and goes to walk away.