Chapter 1

Beep, beep, beep.

Sky's eyes fluttered open as the white ceiling of the hospital filled his vision. His entire body felt like it had been sledgehammered, and he vaguely felt something wrapped around his arm.

"He's up!" a feminine voice exclaimed. Footsteps echoed in his ears as Sky slowly regained control of his senses.

"Thank god, you're ok!" Aphmau exclaimed. She wasn't in her school uniform and her eyes were red and puffy.

"A-Aph? When'd you g-get here?" Sky asked, his voice raspy.

"Shortly after those guys were knocked out," Aphmau said.

Sky looked around the hospital room. He was familiar with the white walls, the tile floor, the window to his right, and the beeping of the heart monitor. What he wasn't familiar with was the three strangers also in the room.

Two of them were next to each other. The one on the left had a red and black checkered hoodie, and the one on the right had a brown Bacca beanie on his head. The lone man in the corner of the room had brown hair covering his left eye. All three were silent and looking at him.

"Who, who are they?" Sky asked.

"Oh, let me introduce them. Checkered hoodie is Mitch, his Mob God is a blaze. White t-shirt is Ty, he's an Enderman. And bacca hat is Jerome, a bacca. They saved your lives." Aph suddenly stopped, and her expression changed. Her eyes darkened, and she broke eye contact.

"Aph, what's wrong?" That's when it hit Sky. Everyone was there except for Barney, Jin, and Ross. "Wait, where are the others?"

"Ross and Jin are fine. Just knocked out." Jerome said.

"What about Barney?" Sky asked, the worry in him growing.

"We tried, Sky. We tried," Ty sighed, shaking his head.

"What do you mean?!"

"Barney's dead. He broke his neck when he hit the ground."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Mitch had explained everything to him.

"Jerome, Ty, and I were walking around the city when we heard people screaming. We ran over and saw you half-dead. I told them to stop but then their leader kicked you in the back of the head." Mitch and Aphmau traded worried glances.

"A fight broke out. One of them had Squid powers and I didn't fare well. You know, water against a Blaze." Mitch rolled up his left sleeve to reveal a few burns. "Eventually, we beat them. We checked out your friends, and that's when we found out Barney died."

Sky stared down in shock. His best friend, gone. He'd known Barney ever since elementary school, and they'd been together through thick and thin. And just like that, he was gone.

"We've notified the police. They'll take care of everything else. I'm sorry, Sky." Jerome offered a sympathetic glance.

"I don't understand. People thinking that they're dominant because of their Mob God, and nearly killing others because of it?!" Mitch exclaimed.

Sky let out a shaky exhale. "All because my Mob God is a chicken."

Suddenly, Mitch was staring right into his eyes.  "Just because your Mob God is a chicken doesn't mean you can't defend yourself. You at least have to have a few tricks up your sleeve."

"How are they supposed to work against Mob God powers?!" Sky shouted.

"Once you're out of the hospital, Jerome and I will teach you some tricks. Maybe Ty can help out, if he's not being a grump half the time." Mitch said, winking playfully at the end. An attempt to lighten the mood.

"Shut up." Ty grumbled as he lightly punched Mitch in the stomach.

"Exactly. See what I mean?"

With a few forced laughs and then goodbyes, Aphmau and the other boys left. Sky tried to turn his head to face the window but was instantly met with a searing pain. He bit his tongue to keep from screaming and returned to facing straight. The plain white walls that were now slightly blurred stared back at him, joining the other thoughts eating at his mind.

Barney was gone.

He still had Jin, Ross, and Aph, but it wasn't the same without Barney. It wouldn't be the same. Barney was the sunshine of the group, always finding a way to make everyone laugh. If only there was some way to bring him back.

"You miss your friend?" A voice asked.

Sky glanced to the side and saw a translucent chicken there- his Mob God. The one animal that was the cause of his life being ruined. "What is it?" Sky asked, his voice cracking at the end.

"Everyone can make a wish, you know," the chicken said.

Sky sighed and closed his eyes. "And?"

Now, it was the chicken's turn to sigh. "You can bring your friend back."

Sky's eyes flew open. "What? How?"

"You haven't made your wish yet. With your wish, you can turn back time."

"I can?"

"Do you want to? It's just turning time back when you first woke up."

"Yes. Anything to have my friend back."

"However, there is a cost to every wish."

"Just do it!"

The chicken gave another sigh. "Ok then. If you say so."

With those words, Sky blacked out.

--------------

A/N:

Wow, I'm getting ideas for this story faster than the beginning of Wartorn.