Chapter 4

Mrs. Cinos, my science teacher, slowly walked into the room drinking hot starbucks.

"Morning." she said. There were scatters of responding 'mornings'. "We're gonna be pairing up today to study for the finals." She handed out slips of paper and the class wrote their names on them to be drawn from a small bucket. "Now i want this half of the class to draw a name." she pointed to the left side from her view. We got up and grabbed a sheet.

I went back to my seat and opened it. Angelique was written on it. Who was that?

I nudged someone next to me.

"Who is this?"

"Her." they pointed. There was a girl sitting in a table alone as everyone moved and scribbled in a notebook.

"Thanks bro." i said and put the slip in my pocket. I went and sat next to her. "Hey." i said. She looked at me. I had forgotten, she was the new girl in my first period.

"Hi. How are you doing?"

"Im ight. What's this?" i looked at her notebook. "Statue of liberty?"

"Yeah."

"Damn you're a good artist. How long you been drawing?" i said. She looked at me. "What?"

"Just...guys I've met here so far don't seem to care much about girls. Just their V."

"I know. I know exactly how you feel." i said. "But i wanna know."

"Since i was 9."

"Wow. Picasso-lique." i said.

"What?"

"Picasso and Angelique put together." I said. She chuckled. "Or Ange-casso."

"Yeah okay haha. What's your name?"

"Kyjuan. Davis." i said.

"Oh that's right your in my first period."

"Yeah. You're that one new girl. Why'd you move here of all places?"

"My mom had work and stuff and she got relocated."

"Oh. Because this isn't the best city when you live here for a while."

"I believe you. This isn't the best school, hell."

"I know right i can't stand it here. Where'd you say you were from?"

"North Carolina." she said. I could hear her little accent. 'Noth Cuh-line-a' was how she said it.

"Oh word." i said. "I moved here from Chi town when i was 5." i looked down in my lap as i was talking.

"Oh wow, came up rough huh."

"Pretty much. But let's not talk about me," i quickly said. "How long you plan on staying here?"

"Couple years."

"Oh that's what's up."

"What about you?"

"I plan on being here for a little after graduation but might move out of town. I don't know yet. Just gotta see how things pan out, you know?" i said, looking from my lap to her. She hung on to every word i said. I kinda dug it.