Chapter 9

The morning had come far too quickly as most of her night was restless with memories of the past so fresh in her mind, it was all that haunted her in the depths of the night. It was time to get this mission over with so she could get back to her regular assignments, which didn't involve any mental strain or effort on her part. It didn't her long to hurry downstairs, turn in the keys, and find Eric, Tara, and the girls loading up the cart. As the girls were lifted up into the cart, they yawned a couple of times each before laying back down. 

Eric turned to Zandra and said, "we should make it there by tomorrow afternoon. I sent a letter our last night informing her that we would be arriving soon, so she should be expecting us."

"Very well, let's get a move on then." Zandra jumped up into the front the to him and she was glad when they started moving again. 

They managed to keep a steady pace, only stopping to rest on occasion, and the whole day slipped by. As the mid-afternoon sun was out on the second day, they could see a rather large house coming into focus in the distance. Upon their approach more details started to come into focus from the manor, and Zandra couldn't help but wonder who his aunt was. It was a Gothic revival style house, which wasn't too popular in those parts, making it stand out even more. A carbon grey exterior with a black accent and roof. As they continue their approach, the next thing she noticed was the black metal fence going around the front of the yard and disappearing through the back into some rose bushes that looked as though they needed pruning.

Walking through the gate there was a silver cobblestone pathway leading up to the steps which lead you to the two large ebony oak doors. They looked intimidating even against the enormous house. Next to the grand doors on the left was a covered and enclosed porch. As they neared, they could barely see candles flickering through the thick curtain covered windows. Eric mentioned she was Lady Marquette, who was a bit mysterious to say the least.

To the right, the house protruded slightly, as so many of those homes did, which held a large bay window showing off the living area inside. Zandra could see dark navy curtains draped and held off to the sides of the window to allow the summer light in. Although the outside seemed dark and intimidating the inside seemed bright and well lit.

"Who exactly is your Aunt?" Zandra asked as they continued their approach.

Eric smiled with pride as he spoke, "she was an advisor to the royal family. She retired a few months before everything happened."

Zandra held her breath, then continued to curse her luck, it was time to cut this short. Hopefully, the old lady wouldn't recognize her, after all she was older now. Could she recognize her after all these years when she only saw her briefly as a child? Maybe it was best she didn't go inside and risk it.

The cart came to a stop and the two girls jumped off and ran up towards the house as an older lady greeted them with a smile. She looked up from the children and her eyes locked with Zandra's and in that instant moment she felt as though the lady had no question as to her identity. "I have finished my job and I will be leaving now," she said to Eric as she slipped off the cart and turned her back towards the manor.

"Wait. Why don't you stay for dinner before you go? I am sure Aunt Marquette won't mind. Consider it extra payment." Eric said urging her to stay. 

A slight chill went down her spine as she felt the old woman's gaze still upon her making her feel uneasy, "no. I'm fine. I have someplace I need to be," she said as she attempted to find an excuse to escape.

As though sensing that she was getting ready to leave, the two girls ran back down the pathway and up to Zandra, and they grabbed her legs, hugging them tightly. "Don't go. Stay here with us," the both cried up to her.