Chapter 29

"Why would your room be here?" Henry asked while looking at the door that was still getting banged on.

Fen was confused as well, "we aren't too far from Willow. Why would it be all the way out here, in the tunnels?" He wanted to argue her point but it was obvious it was a little girl's room. The wardrobe still hung clothes which were now full of dust from being neglected for so long.

Zandra went over to the mantle and ran her hand across it. She looked at the little figurines her father had given her. "These figurines were a gift from my father. He collected them. Told us they would protect us, and he was always looking over us." She said with sadness at the memory of her father.

Fen approached her, "Zandra..."

She swallowed the memories back and looked away, "it's okay."

Henry became curious and opened the side table and pulled out a small notebook. Opening it he shut it with a quickness after reading a few words, "I think I found your diary."

Zandra walked over and sat down next to Henry on the bed. Grabbing it she flipped it open and started reading through the words she couldn't remember writing.

There was another loud thud against the door and Henry pointed towards the door. "Is that going to hold?" He said with apprehension.

She looked up at the door for a moment then closed her eyes, she connected to the energy surrounding them, it was getting easier now. Feeling it in the air around her she no longer needed to touch the walls to communicate with it. Was there a way to make them safer? To move away from the demons? There was what felt like a small shift in the air around them and the pounding on the door stopped.

"What did you do?" Fen asked feeling a bit unsettled.

"I don't know. I just wanted us to be safe." She said with a shrug and went back to the diary sitting in her hands now that the banging had stopped.

"Very well. I'll take the break," he said looking around still feeling a bit uneasy.

Zandra looked through the book, most of it was just little things. Running through the halls. Playing with her sister. Causing trouble for the maids.

Dear Diary,

I went to the kitchen for a midnight snack tonight. I got a big slice of cake because I'm a princess. They give me everything I want.

Dear Diary,

Mommy and Daddy punished me today for going down into the tunnels. I'm too young they say. It's dangerous. It's not. The house protects me. Tells me where to go. I helped a lost guard get out. He was very grateful. Apparently, I am a prodigy? Whatever that means.

Dear Diary,

Sarah isn't talking to me. She got in trouble from going into the tunnels. She doesn't like getting into trouble. She's the eldest and the perfect Princess. Everything is for her. She's going to take over for Mommy and Daddy one day.

Dear Diary,

I saw Henry today. He's cute. I think he has a crush on me, but I can't tell. Maybe I'm imagining it. He gave me some flowers and ran away. He doesn't play with me much anymore. I wonder why?

Zandra smirked and cast a glance at Henry, "you're in here."

"Oh really?" He seemed intrigued. "Nothing bad I hope?"

"You gave me some flowers and ran away." She said laughing at the thought. It was hard to think back to those simpler times when everything was right with the world. As her mind tried to recall the past it seemed so distant that it almost didn't seem real.