Prelude

Zandra cursed as she threw another book across the room. Already she could feel the darkness in her mind start to take hold, and her body swooned a little. Reaching out she managed to grab the shelf as she started to fall, catching herself before hitting the floor. Bringing her hand to her head she winced, staying awake was painful. Was she awake, or was she still dreaming? It was impossible to tell anymore. What was real? Already she felt like she was falling again, falling into the darkness that was now her mind, and her life. 

There was a slight knock on the door and Fen walked inside, immediately he rushed to her side knocking books out of his way as he made his way towards her. "Zandra, honey. Are you okay?" He asked with concern, attempting to reach out to her, to help her. 

She flinched as his hands gently touched her, which is common anymore. It didn't matter who touched her, she would flinch from the contact. Fen tried to cover up the hurt that was on his face whenever she moved away from him. It pained him that his touch made her uncomfortable. "Let me get you back to bed, you need to rest and gather your strength."

"I need something to help me stay awake," she whispered desperately. It wasn't sleep that she needed, it was to break free of whatever or whoever was dragging her into the nightmares. There had to be a spell that would help her break free of whatever curse was upon her. She was sure that spell was somewhere buried among all of these books, journals, and documents. Her body swayed again as it started to give out to the struggle of consciousness. There wasn't enough energy to keep her up right anymore, she was losing the fight. 

Fen caught her as she started to fall, and picked her up. Her head already rolling into his chest as sleep started to take over her. "You can't keep pushing yourself this hard," he said to her as he carried her back to the bedroom. He laid her back down on the bed and spoke softly, "please Zandra. Please, just rest. When you wake up we can go for a walk to clear your head and talk about what is happening...away from here and away from the books. They aren't good for you."

It was hard to find her voice, "help...me..." she managed to whisper out before slipping back into the void. 

Zandra woke with a start, and looked around in a panic. She couldn't remember coming to bed. When did she get here? Who brought her here? A sharp pain shot through her head and she winced bringing her hands to her head instinctively. After a few seconds there was a slight sound of someone entering the room that made her look back up. The individual walked over to the side of the bed, and sat down next to her. 

"Are you feeling any better, my dear?" He asked with a smile, his hand gently reaching out towards her face and she flinched. With a sigh, he dropped his hand. "Please, let me help you." His voice was tender, and full of concern. "It's been a month now, and it seems to be getting worse. Why won't you listen to me?" He said to her pleadingly. Zandra looked away from him, but he reached out and gently touched her face pulling her so that she was looking at him again. His eyes were full of worry. "I love you, Zandra. You know that, right?"

Her lips were starting to tremble, "yes."

"Then why are you fighting me? I am trying to help you." He said to her quietly, "a demon cast a spell on you and it seems to have effected your mind. Do you remember that?" He asked. 

Zandra's body shuddered as though responding to the memory, but nothing played within her mind. "I don't remember..." she said quietly, not wanting to admit that she couldn't remember. Was she so weak, that she allowed a demon to get into her mind?

He sighed a little, "don't worry about it. What's important is that you are talking to me again, which means his hold on you is starting to wane. See, you're strong enough to fight his control. Together, we will overcome him and you will finally be free. I just need you to hold on a little while longer while I put together the spell we need to free you."