Wash x Reader

Prompt: Saying "Because I love you" during an argument
Requested by @ECTOBIOLOGIST0413  

Things were tense.

It had felt like months since anyone had a nice conversation. You, along with the rest of the blue team were stressed.

It was times like this where you wish you were on the red's side, they seemed to have a much easier time dealing with the fact that you were stranded on a planet with no sign of leaving anytime soon.

"Y/N!" Wash calls out, getting your attention.

You roll your eyes but walk to him anyway, since Church left he's been taking everything way too seriously and it was starting to piss both you and Tucker off. "What's going on?" You ask as you approach him.

"Tucker's training, you should go join him." He commands making you scoff under your breath, "what was that?" he questions, turning his whole body to look at you.

"What was what?" You say, hoping he'll shrug it off so that you don't get into yet another argument.

Wash doesn't say anything, he just stares at you. You can't see his facial expression from under his mask but you can only assume it's a blank stare.

You turn around and start walking away, "Y/N-" you hear wash try to call out to you.

"Going to train, boss." You call over your shoulder, not slowing your pace at all.

***

Of course, when you found Tucker neither of you ended up training. You both thought it was a waste of time, so you just sat side by side on the ground. You bitched about Wash, you made fun of the reds and you both made sex jokes every chance you got.

Tucker was in no way your favorite person, however this situation seemed to bring you closer to him and further from Wash.

"So this is where you two disappeared to." A voice interrupts your conversation. You and Tucker turn to see Wash standing behind you, for a second you think Wash is going to turn and leave in a huff like he normally does but he just crosses his arms and looks between you and Tucker.

"We just wanted a break." Tucker tells him, standing up before giving you a hand up.

"Tucker, go find Caboose." Wash orders. "Now!" He yells when Tucker doesn't move. Tucker turns to you and pats your arm before walking off. As he's leaving you hear him mutter something about you being fucked. Wash pulls his helmet off and holds it under his arm, his disapproving glare being the first thing you notice.

"So what now? We're gonna have another argument?" You huff, by now completely sick of him. Wash glances down for a second before his harsh gaze returns to you.

"You think I want to, Y/N? You think I like ordering you around even though you don't listen to a single word I say?"

His sentence makes your blood boil, "I don't listen to you because I don't see the point of training when we're stuck here for god knows how long! Who made you leader anyway? Church was gone a day before you 'took over'." You huff.

Wash's face scrunches up, "I want to be prepared! What's so wrong with that?" His tone raises, now matching yours.

"You don't get to decide that! You aren't one of us, Wash. What makes you think you can make those decisions for us anyway?" You feel yourself regretting your words as you see Wash's face fall. "All I want is to hang out with my friends. I want Church back and I want you to realise that we aren't all your old friends." Your voice is a lot more calm now and you're thinking more rationally now. "Stop trying to make us like them."

Wash stares at your for a moment, his eyes studying your face. "I lost all of my old friends one by one! We were trained to be the best and we failed. Almost everyone I care about is gone, and I don't want that to happen to you." At this point Wash steps forward, "I love you, Y/N and I don't want to lose you like I lose everyone else I care about."

You put your hands on either side of Wash's face, looking into his eyes. "Wash, I know you want to protect us but we're different to the freelancers. We aren't going to disappear on you. We aren't going to die." You brush a little bit of dirt off his cheek, then you move closer and peck him on the lips.

Two updates in one night and possibly a few more to come!
-Ol