45.

I went upstairs and picked my phone up. I had sixty new messages, all from Malik, and twenty-five missed calls. Twenty from Malik, four from my mom, and one from Jacques.

"Damn, my mama boutta beat my ass." I said once I put my password in and called her back. Just when I thought it was gonna go to voicemail, she answered.

"Now why the hell did I have to find out from Kiari that you were back in Atlanta?" Her strong voice blared through the speaker.

"Mom I'm sorry. Can I make it up to you by taking you out mañana?" I wasn't fluent in Spanish but I knew a few words so I used them often.

"Meet me at the house. 10:30 Brianna."

I nodded even though she couldn't see me. "Okay mama, goodni-" I was cut off by my phone vibrating three times, signalling she hung up. "Dickhead."

I laid back in the bed until Kiari walked in. He looked tired.

"Man, sometimes, I just feel like some bad shit is gonna happen to us after we drop the album. You feel me? Like I might go back to jail or something. I don't know." He sat at the end of the bed with his back hunched over.

"Just be positive. None of that will happen. I promise."

We used to promise each other a lot of things, like how we'll always stick together no matter what.

Promises are made to be broken though,