25. Trust

I don't get much sleep. I twist and turn for over an hour before finally deciding to get out of bed. I wander out of the bedroom and head to the living room. I grab a blanket from the recliner and turn on the television, hoping that mindless programming will lull me to sleep. "Maya" Josh whispers, appearing in the entryway.

"Hey" I whisper, turning my head to look at him. "Did I wake you?" I ask as he pads across the floor and climbs onto the couch beside me.

"No" he lies making me chuckle as I snuggle up beside him, burrowing my head in his chest. "You okay gorgeous?" he asks worriedly, wrapping his arms around me comfortingly.

"No" I whisper as a few stray tears fall from my eyes. "It's not fair" I say for the thousandth time since I found out Drew was sick.

"It's not" Josh agrees. Silence falls around us and I know I need to tell Josh about Matt. I can't keep it from him.

"Matt told me he has feelings for me" I whisper. Josh stiffens and pulls back from me, staring down at me in disbelief.

"What?"

"He told me on the drive to the hospital. That's what I had to talk to you about."

"Okay" Josh drags out the y. "Well you don't like feel the same way do you?" he asks worriedly.

"What? No" I exclaim as I grab his hand in mine. "Josh I love you. I just wanted to tell you. I don't want there to be secrets between us." Josh takes a deep breath.

"In that case" he sighs. "Callie wants me to help her plan the funeral." I hope I heard him wrong but I know I didn't.

"She wants your help?" I ask, trying not to let my jealousy shine through. It was ridiculous that I felt this way but a part of me would always think that Callie was after Josh.

"It's just to plan the funeral Maya. Nothing is gonna happen" he insists, squeezing my hand reassuringly.

"I know" I sigh, averting my eyes. "I just think there'll always be a part of me that believes that she wants you" I admit sadly. "And she was your first love. That's not something a person can easily compete with."

"Baby look at me" he says softly, lifting my head so I'm forced to lock eyes with him. "I love you more than I have ever loved anyone in my entire life. My world doesn't spin without you in it" he says seriously making my heart flutter. "I love you" he says again, leaning in to kiss me.

"Love you too" I smile, resting my forehead against his. "We should probably try to get some sleep" I add softly.

"Mhm" he nods, pecking my lips one last time. "Come on gorgeous" he says, standing up and holding out his hand for me to take. He leads me back to our bedroom and we both finally fall asleep curled up together.

*************************************************************************************

"Yea I guess" Josh agrees, sounding aggravated. I let my eyes flutter open to realize my fiancé isn't in our bedroom but rather in our bathroom talking on the phone quietly. "Don't lecture me on having an attitude. I'm only helping you because it's for Drew. I'd much rather be at home with Maya today. Comforting my own family" he snips. I moan in annoyance as I bury my head in my pillow. Callie. Of course. Josh comes out of the bathroom a few minutes later and notices me lying awake. "Shit did I wake you?" he asks as he puts his phone down on his nightstand and sits down beside me.

"Yep" I reply snippily. "What time are you leaving?" I ask as I climb out of bed.

"An hour" he sighs. I feel his eyes on me as I walk.