Thirty-four

Stormy

I followed Jane back to my room. I found the bed was a mess. Blood splattered all over the sheets. I looked back, and Jane was still there.

"You've been fucking him haven't you," she accused.

"I'm sorry," I said. I couldn't deny it.

But it wasn't enough just to apologize. She was angry, and rightfully so. The burning fire took over quickly. A very different kind of torture than Alec's sensory deprivation. I didn't try to stop her. I deserved this.

No one came to check on me, even though I was screaming. I didn't know how long she burned my insides out. But the sun was rising when she was finished. She left without a word. And I lay there on the cold brick until I hear someone else come in.

I could hear her humming down the hallway, but she stopped when she opened my door. She dropped something on the ground. "Shit," she says. "Um, I know I'm not supposed to talk to you, but are you alright, miss?"

I rolled onto my side. She's one of the human maids who think the Volturi will turn her into a vampire after she works hard enough. I usually don't pay attention to the help because they tend to disappear.

I got up from the floor, a head ache pounding my head long after Jane's pain had left. I was thaknful for it though, because it helped me not think about anything else. Especially with helping me forget that I might be in love with an American wolf, and there was nothing I could do about it, and that everyone in this castle suddenly seemed to hate me for something I didn't even do.

Just don't think about any of it, I told myself. None of it matters. Jane will get over it. Don't think about Alec. Don't think about Demetri. And especially don't think about that man named Paul.

He knows I'm a monster. It would never work out.

"Can I do anything to help?" the maid asked, shifting uncomfortably. Her blond hair was pulled up into a bouncing bun on top of her head.

"Just do your job," I said from the ground. Maybe I could lay her for years like a real vampire. See how long I could go without moving a muscle.

"Oh," she said before continuing with her work. She pulled all the blankets and sheets off of the bed. She didn't ask about the blood. She was probably used to grotesque sights by now.

Laying here was getting boring though, and my head continued to hurt, so I forced myself up. I shuffled over to my wardrobe and pulled open the doors. I had a lot of dresses, of all different colors. I didn't know which one I wanted to wear, there were too many to choose from. Some of them were way too small now, made to fit a little girl. I should have the maid get rid of them.

I looked back at the maid, only now noticing that she was staring at the overflowing wardrobe with big eyes. She stood uncomfortably in her own maid outfit which was too small for her body. I wondered if it was required. It begged the question of how many girls wore that uniform before her? How many times had it had to be cleaned of blood?

She pulled herself together then, and tentatively asked, "Would you like me to draw you a bath?" I looked at her inquisitively. She pointed at her own face, "You have some blood."

"I'm not taking a bath."

"Um, well, Lord Aro requested that you take a bath." She sounded unsure of herself.

"But it's only been two weeks since last time."

"Sweetie, you really need a bath."

I just wanted to cry. My eyes felt heavy with tears and salt. My muscles ached, and my scalp itched with dried blood. So I complied in defeat. She led me down to the dusty bathroom. It's very grand with gold spouts, and a tub carved out of marble. I was the only person in the whole castle it had a real purpose for. Not even the human help were allowed to use this bathroom.