The Mistake

"Charlotte.." I hum quietly, rubbing my thumb over her knuckles. A tear glides down my cheek as I glance over at my wife who hasn't moved since her death. I jerk my head back, refusing to look at her. I don't want to believe it.

Nothing has happened since Mr. Legend put the gems on them. He has been sitting a few feet from me, waiting as well. I keep telling him that he can leave but he declines every time. I think he is scared to leave the cave and face what's outside.

"Come back to me, my beautiful daughter." I whimper, weakly holding her hand. "I've waited this long for you, don't make me wait any longer."

Mr. Legend lets out a loud sigh, shaking his head. "Try singing again." He suggests, shrugging. "Last time you sang, you thought you felt her squeeze your hand."

I take a deep breath, collecting myself and wiping my tears frantically. "Alright, I'll try again." I promise, taking Lauren's hand once again while holding Charlotte's.

"Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand. And what you've been out there searching for forever is in your hands." I sing sadly, gazing down at the tiny girl in front of me. "Oh, when you figure out that love is all that matters after all. It sure makes everything else seem so small." A tear falls down my cheek. "It's so easy to get lost—"

Charlotte's hand grasps mine so tightly, I wince in pain. My heart starts beating rapidly. Charlotte turns over while groaning, her breathing coming back in steady movements. The gem falls from her chest and lands unharmed on the ground.

"Charlotte." I breathe, staring with wide eyes at my daughter—my alive daughter. Mr. Legend directs his attention toward the young girl.

"Mama." Charlotte croaks, wiping her brown eyes before blinking them open. She looks tired. "I missed you."

I cover my mouth, tears streaming down my face wildly. Charlotte crawls to me, wrapping her arms around my neck. I reciprocate the hug, feeling my spirits soar high. Joy explodes in my heart, but is quickly shot down when I realize Lauren still lays dead.

"Thank you." I murmur into Charlotte's shoulder, squeezing my child tightly.

"What happened?" Charlotte asks, letting her arms fall from my neck. She shifts her body so she is sitting in my lap, her hands clasped in mine.

"Something horrible." I respond, shaking my head. I let my fingertips graze her cheek. I don't want to explain to her that it was her fault because that is too much for a child to deal with.

"Where is Mom?" Charlotte inquires, looking around the cave. Her eyes then land on next to me, her gaze deepening. "Is she sleeping?"

"Yes," I choke out, wiping a doubtful tear away. "Just sleeping."

Charlotte seems extremely confused, her eyes basically glued to her mother. "Why here?"

"I'm not sure, my love." I shake my head, placing a tender kiss on her forehead. When she sees my tear fall, her gaze changes.

"She isn't waking up, is she?" Charlotte whimpers, her voice trembling.

"She has to wake up, Charlotte." I promise, biting my bottom lip to keep from crying in front of my daughter. "She's just sleeping." It sounds as if I'm trying to convince myself more than Charlotte.

"Mama," Charlotte looks up at me with watery eyes. "I understand more than you think. I can sense her and her spirits. They aren't with us."

At the sound of her words, I let out a sob. I start to cry, shaking my head while mouthing words aimlessly. Charlotte lets a tear slide from her eyes, holding her gaze to me.